Thursday, October 16, 2008

a couple victories

Many of you know that Cam has about 10 things on his list of foods he'll eat. I'm constantly hearing, "Oh kids always go through picky phases". Well, this "phase" has lasted over a year. Something not quite right about that. Anyway, last night I had enough. I decided to tackle pasta this morning. After a few failed tries, a huge tantrum, and him going hungry all morning, he ended up giving in with the promise of a raisin if he ate the pasta. Later we even snuck some chicken on his plate and he gobbled it all up! This may not seem huge to some, but for us, this was such a victory.



Later we had pudding play time. Cam doesn't consider this play time as he hates the feel/texture of pudding on his hands, but it is something I do because it is good for him. I'm also trying to work with him in prep for when he starts Occupational Therapy again. I don't think I have mentioned that after taking him to a pediatric neurologist a few weeks back, she recommended we put him back into OT and Speech because she felt like his sensory difficulties still needed some working with. Anyway, I couldn't get him to touch it...until I put raisins in it. I was so proud that he picked out all the raisins and didn't even fuss.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay! I totally understand victories that seem small to everyone else :)

The Urke Family said...

kelly, you are Such a Good mom. I really admire you and you are so creative to put the raisins in the pudding!

Team Harry said...

Good job Cam.... and Mommy!! I'm all about bribery when it comes to eating good. My kids are 8 & 5 and it still works with them!! I can't believe how much he will do for a raisan!!

susan said...

Thank goodness for raisins!

Kari said...

Kelly, I completely relate to this! My son Jack had (has) some of the same food issues - very limited. His "picky" stage also lasted quite awhile - several years. We heard tons of advice on the subject, but nothing really worked. He is 5 now and while his food repertoire has definitely expanded, it is still a far cry from other kids his age. I understand what a huge day this must have been for you - there are times I've actually cried because Jack has decided to finally eat something. Good job for continuing to try new things and encouraging his growth in this area!

BTW, in case you're wondering who I am, I went to Biola and I occasionally pop on over to your blog from Susan's. I am also doing the bible memory verse with you guys, so that should give you a bit of a reference as to who I am... I usually just lurk, but I couldn't pass up commenting on this! The food issues has been BIG in our house. =)

heidi said...

Such a great idea, hiding the raisins in the pudding. I am finding that our son has a definite dislike to a lot of foods. I can't even disquise them in other things, like soup or cheese. He will find the piece of chicken and spit it out of his mouth. He doesn't like eggs, he doesn't like any time of pasta, and he refuses to eat any type of hamburger. He could live on baby food and fruit... I will have to try some of your techniques here.

How are you feeling by the way? It must be fun to share pregnancy time with your sister, even though she's far away.