Thursday, February 6, 2014

parenthood




For a few years I've had countless people mention the show Parenthoood and how great it was. Chris and I watched the first couple episodes back when it first started. At that point, it was just too much for me. One of the boys on the show has Aspergers and it was discouraging and sad for me to watch.

Fast forward to now. We finally decided to try it again and love it. I actually feel somewhat accomplished in my emotional development, if you will, now brought to my attention by the show. Not only am I not bothered by watching that plotline, but Chris and I actually laugh OFTEN at how incredibly right on they are in their portrayal of what it is like to have a son on the spectrum.  I think I am in such a different place of acceptance than I was back then. It's a nice place to be. :)

The only main difference we have is that Cam has never displayed anger/tantrums, which we will always be incredibly grateful for. It's not that he doesn't get upset. However when he does it is due to being overwhelmed or the ever present sensitivity to people taking a strong tone with him or getting upset (and always involves him crying rather than rage).

Sidenote: I will say that I might change my mind if a plotline ever arises (which I'm sure it will) of the boy getting teased at school. I might have to skip those scenes. :)

2 comments:

Teresa DiMillo said...

I love this show and I don't know if you remember, when we 1st met, I had so many questions about Cameron because Parenthood is the 1st time I ever saw anyone on the spectrum. Prepare yourself, there is some teasing, but much more triumph in the show. You'll enjoy it :)

Susan said...

I'm so glad that God has been giving you peace and comfort and acceptance of this road you are on! =) Love you.