Monday, January 4, 2021

Outside and more outside

Our Christmas break ends tomorrow and has looked so different than in years past. Over the past several weeks, I often thought of the thousands of hospital workers who were/are so inundated with patients and scrambling to find room and staff to help them. The thought of how much they are risking for us has driven us to take our part in attempting to be safe a little more seriously. So while we haven't been perfect, the theme in our outings or get togethers with family has been outside. Lot's of outside. ;) Because of that, I've  been reminded of how grateful I am that we live in a state in which our weather has allowed us the ability to still have so much fun over the break. 

We spent our Thanksgiving break camping with my family in San Clemente.




We introduced my sister and her girls to one of my all time favorite hikes in the desert, Murray Hill. My dad joined as well and we had a great time.



We made the very not fun decision of not going up to my in-laws as that was when the numbers were increasing SO rapidly. We were all incredibly bummed, but we were still able to have a nice Christmas. Here is one of my favorite gifts Chris gave me. I wear it all the time!



Freezing temperatures will never stop a good game of Among Us!


The kids and I had a super fun time scootering around Newport.


We introduced the cousins to it the following week. :)



Using a Cold Stone gift card from Christmas!


This next admission makes me feel very old, but my new FAVORITE activity is to relax in front of a good screen saver (there are tons on Youtube). One of my favorites is simply a Hogwarts castle setting, with rain sounds. It is sooo relaxing to sit and either read, or just watch while I drink coffee. My favorite time to enjoy it is in the morning when it's dark and I'm the only one up. I am often teased by my sweet family, but I really don't care. ;) 








4 comments:

Ana E said...

So excited for a new post! I’ve missed them! Sounds like you guys made the best of your holidays this year. I’m regularly grateful for our state and the ability to be outdoors at the beach, hiking, biking, etc. nearly year round! I wish our time in Newport would have overlapped! Would have loved to social distance. I’m imagining Chris walking in to find you sitting in the dark with a cup of coffee staring at that screen saver and I can’t help but giggle thinking of his response (knowing our husbands never pass up an opportunity to be funny. 😉) What are you reading now? I’m looking for some good fiction to read in 2021. Happy new year!

Gma said...

Yes, we were VERY bummed to not have family visit us during the holidays, but....we understand. So glad you made the best of a difficult situation and that you are enjoying your time with your family. Happy New Year!

Jen Scholte said...

I am cracking up that you watch a screen saver! Love it! SOOO funny!! I'm glad it brings you joy! And I'm glad we could social distance over break too and that I could see you! I can't believe we didn't take any pictures!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for introducing me to the wonderful world of screen savers! haha! So relaxing. =) Fun pictures and post! - Sister Su