Thursday, May 29, 2008

choices

Today Dr. Laura made a brilliant comment about our mindset when it comes to wanting something we can't have. She said, "When we agonize over what could be, we insult what is." It is such a great and true statement that I have never thought about but found to be so helpful. I found it quite appropriate for me to hear today and it really helped my attitude.

Last night was another horrible sleep night for me. I think I got between 1-2 hours total (mind you I went to bed at 9:30). Obviously when I woke up I felt horrible, angry, frustrated, and sad. Why does sleep continue to be such an obstacle in my life? Why can't I fall asleep like I used to and like everyone else in the world does? Why do I now have to go through my entire day with a headache that even the strongest medicine won't put a dent in?

But you know what? Agonizing over my bad night of sleep doesn't change the night. And moping around about it all day is an insult to everything else I have that is great in my life. Today I got to take my favorite little boy to Palm Springs to a great park with a cool fountain. Today I got to go to Costco for lunch with Chris and Cam and then to the mall. Today I got to take a nice walk up to another park and watch my little man play. So this morning I made a choice. I made the choice to live my day as a mom/wife who had gotten 8 hours of sleep. Because to do otherwise and mope around all day would have been an insult to everything wonderful God has given me in my life. Thank you Dr. Laura.

7 comments:

Ross and Amy Free said...

We love eating at Costco, we can both eat for less than 5 bucks. Sometimes we take our friends Brian and Lani there, who aren't members, and they call it the "Costco Country Club" (CCC).

I really like that quote!
-Ross

Donna Stark said...

Good for you, girl, for making the choice to be cheerful and grateful. That reminds me of some advice I heard once--when I'm unhappy or mad, go to the mirror and SMILE at myself. HA! Sounds corny, but it DOES help.

Donna Stark said...

...and I have been praying for you to have a good night's sleep tonight.

heidi said...

that's awesome... thanks for sharing that bit of great advice!!!

Team Harry said...

Isn't it always nice when we can bring ourselves to think about the good, instead of the bad? I am learning how to do the same thing!! Love you!!

Carrie P said...

i read this, then had a night where I got very little sleep, then had to work the next day. it was a great reminder to me - to choose to have a good day regardless of my circumstances.or my tiredness. :-) carrie

Anonymous said...

SUCH a good point... but we still need to get to the bottom of this sleep issue for you!!!