Sunday, June 24, 2007

books and walmart

A while back I posted that I wish I read more. My sister suggested a book entitled, "Wild Swans". I got the book, read it, and am still thinking about it. It was amazing, to say the least. It is a true story following the lives of a Chinese family who lived during the regime of Mao and communism. I simply cannot put into words the horrific things that happened to them. In a nutshell, it seems to me that communisms' intentions were pretty good (share the wealth, no separation of classes, etc.). However it got so completely out of hand that I would describe their living conditions as truly horrific (and even that isn't a strong enough word). Was it a feel good book? Heck no! But I would highly, highly recommend it as it was very enlightening and made me realize how completely spoiled I am living here in America. When I throw myself a pity party because Cam didn't nap as long as I would have liked, I simply think about the character who was forced to kneel in the snow for 8 hours straight as punishment (and that was a pretty mild punishment!) and I quickly snap out of it.

Now, on to a completely different subject: Walmart. I used to dislike, no actually I used to hate Walmart. Whenever I went, there were screaming kids running around, messy aisles, things always out of stock, etc. Moving to Beaumont, I had to resign myself to the fact that I would have to frequent it often as it was the only store of that type close by. I have come to really like it (although as soon as a Target moves here, my loyalty will quickly change). The main thing I like is their grocery prices. My friend, Ana, and I have long had a friendly debate over which super market is the cheapest. She says Ralph's, I would say Staters. No longer, however. I challenge anyone to find lower prices than Walmart. Here are a couple of examples you can use to compare. Graham Crackers: $1.00. Sweetened Condensed Milk (I know, a little odd, but I buy it so much I know it by heart): $1.08. Those are just a couple. And please don't look down on me for saying this, but they actually have some semi decent clothes!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just soooo glad you liked that book. I loved it. It was so difficult to put down. Did you see the pages and pages of reviews at the beginning? It's a "must read" book, in my mind!

We've watched that cute video of Cameron a bunch of times now. He has so much personality. =) (Though I know you don't want to see all that personality at nap-time!

Team Harry said...

Funny u should bring this up: I was just talking to a bunch of my girlfriends about Target vs. Walmart... They all love the return policy at Walmart way better then Target. I guess they will return anything, even if it's broken... They agree with you on the prices too. I've decided to start making Walmart my first store... Not sure about the clothes but I guess I should check it out---

Grandma said...

I'm going to have to stock up on the condensed milk when I come to your place. It's $1.38 at our WalMart but still cheaper than the $2.29 at the grocery store.
Maybe you can bring the book to the coast and I'll try to read it. If I have time between playing with my grandkids and taking care of my parents. Notice the order??

Donna Stark said...

...and you have such a beautiful new Walmart in Beaumont. Ours is older, dirtier & junkier. However....they are remodeling it. Looking forward to it. You just can't beat their prices.

sfitz said...

Yes, I'm a totally random person, but not really because I'm Carrie Prince's (Kristen's best buddy)sister-in-law. All this to say I've stumbled across your blog and have to tell you the best book you will ever read is The Robe, by Loyd C. Douglas. It's really amazing. After I read it I bought four copies to give to people then finally bought a second copy for myself so I could loan it out. Anyway... sorry if this is too random for you, but I couldn't pass up a chance to tell another person about this book.

And you're son is adorable!