Thursday, June 14, 2007

yucky chicken

Today we made what has become our weekly trip to Costco. We only needed a few things, but among them were a few rotisserie chickens. Back in the spring, I attended a tea at my parent's church. They served the most amazing chicken salad. I got the recipe and have made a few batches since then. The key difference is that it doesn't use chicken from a can. As I set aside the discarded chickens (we made more than one for our neighbors across the street, who recently had quadruplets...no, that isn't a typo!), Chris came in. After inspecting my chickens, he informed me that I had missed quite a bit of meat, to which I responded, "No, I didn't. The rest is yucky dark and slimy meat.". He proceeded to pick of more chicken and add it to my pile. I allowed this, somewhat begrudgingly, because I don't like dark meat as it kind of grosses me out. So am I wasting chicken by insisting on leaving the dark/slimy meat, or am I right in the philosophy that that sort of meat shouldn't be eaten? He finally got tired of me inspecting the additions he was making and discarding a few of them...and eventually quit.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

I thought you were the "thrifty" one. Yes, you use all parts of the chicken.....that's the way Chris was raised and me too. I, however, refuse to use the liver and heart - ha! If you don't want to put it in the chicken salad, save it for Chris' chicken tacos. I'd like the recipe for the chicken salad.

Team Harry said...

I agree with Grandma but I think it's a matter of preference. I like dark meat but I wouldn't put it in a chicken salad.