Thursday, April 17, 2008

the solution

I have always considered myself a pretty thrifty person. I head straight to the sales rack at most stores (although sometimes I do the "fake browse" in the front of the store first) and I could care less about brand names. However this thriftiness has not translated to wise spending when it has come to Starbucks. I realized that I have been spending too much money there and it has been adding up. So Chris and talked about it and came up with a solution. I figured 6 drinks a month was a good amount for me. Knowing what I get each time, I was able to add up how much this would cost us for one year. We then purchased a Starbucks card for that exact amount. Now I have to be choosy with my Starbucks runs because once I'm out, I'm out!

A cool thing about this is the new policy Starbucks has adopted. Whenever you purchase a drink with your card, you get a free syrup addition or soy addition. I always order my hot drinks with soy and have been spending 40 cents each time for the upgrade. No more! Those 40 cents are going to add up and give me a free drink at some point!! How many times do you allow yourself a Starbucks (or another coffee shop) a week?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, because I think there's nothing nastier than coffee =), never. But if I DID like coffee, I think I'd choose your solution to the problem of spending too much on it- I think it's a great idea!

I think it's great that you sat down and did some figuring. I have a hunch that people would be shocked if they added up what they're spending each year on habits like coffee or eating out or whatever. I'm certainly not saying it's wrong - I just think it ends up being more than we think, you know? Just like if I added up all the chocolate I eat during a year, I think I'd pass out from shock. =)

Team Harry said...

I usually have starbucks about 1-2 times a week... Ive tried to cut back for the calories tho : )

I didn't know about the free upgrade if you buy w/ a card... thanks for the info.

Trying to Love, Laugh & Live said...

Happy Birthday, Kelly! I just read Susan's blog and so I wanted to come right over here and say, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!"

Hope your day celebrating with the 2 men you love the most will be special!

Anonymous said...

The card is a really good idea... just don't lose it!!

Taylor Family said...

Recently I've actually been hitting McDonald's for their iced coffees - they're quite tasty, and you can't beat the price! (Their medium size is under $2, and it's a good size drink!) So instead of hitting Starbucks every once in awhile, I find myself at the McDonald's drive through quite often. :)

I love your giftcard idea though - free stuff and a way to hold yourself accountable, good for you!

Donna Stark said...

Very seldom for me...just can't bring myself to buy expensive drinks much.

But your program for limiting yourself is great! Actually, the "program" is the old envelope system, but the fact that you're DOING it is what's AWESOME!! You & Chris have been careful & wise with your finances from the beginning of your marriage--KUDOS to you!!