Wednesday, July 18, 2007

hooray!

This probably will only be interesting to a few people, but it is such a huge thing for me I wanted to post it. I've been trying to wean Cam for a long time now and he would have not part of a bottle. "Give me mommy or nothing!!", were the words I know he was dying to say. Well, we have finally turned a corner! His doc told me I could sneak some apple juice into the formula to give it some zing. It worked!! For the past two days, he has taken an entire feeding from a sippy cup! This will be so freeing for me as I have literally been a slave to him for the past year, never able to leave him for more than a few hours between feedings.

However (and this is a big however), while this is exciting and will allow Chris and I to do more things just the two of us, it is also extremely sad for me. I always used to wonder what women were talking about when they said that breastfeeding was so bonding. How could it be bonding? Well, I have learned that it truly is and, not to sound cheesy, I learned to absolutely love my feeding times with Cameron. It is hard to explain, but it has been so wonderful. I had a rough time in the beginning, but am incredibly thankful I never gave up. So while practically speaking, this is great, emotionally it is making me a little depressed. :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I totally understand!! I LOVED nursing you & Susan...it's hard to describe, but very special. Just a word of encouragement--now that you're 27, I've stopped missing it, so it WILL get better. HA!

Carrie P said...

Very sweet, Kelly. I can relate completely! I was sad when each of my boys were weaned, even though a big part of me wanted that too.

Anonymous said...

YAY! I know what a puzzle it has been for you to wean Cam!! That is fantastic progress!

I think the sad part is realizing that they are not babies anymore. I was sad with both my kids when they stopped nursing, and when they gave up the bottle. It was strange to pack up all the bottles into a bag and tuck them away into storage. The independence is SOOOO NICE, but it is still sad. Now that my kids are getting older, I find there are a lot of bitter sweet things like that--when they walk and are wiggly and dont want to be held as much, when they potty train, when they move into a big girl bed, when they no longer need you to fill up their sippy cup. You are very normal to be a bit sad about it.