Monday, November 26, 2007

that one ornament

Tonight we put up our Christmas tree. For some, this might seem a tad early. I think Thanksgiving weekend is the best possible time. That way you can enjoy your tree for a full month.



One of my favorite parts of Christmas decorating is putting up our ornaments. There are two ways of decorating. Some coordinate their trees and have "themes", including matching bows, similar ornaments, etc. The other way, which just happens to be our way growing up, is to take every single ornament, from the one you made in kindergarten, to the ugly one you got in some random gift exchange, and cram them all on the tree. There is nothing wrong with option one, but I much prefer option two because there are soooo many memories attached to each ornament. I love unpacking each one and recalling where I got it. Tonight, Chris wasn't too into this, so I proceeded to decorate while he watched TV, asking him to pause every once and a while to explain the history of a specific ornament to him.

Below is my and my sister's all time favorite ornament. Why? I have no clue. It is not that pretty, is yellowed with age, and has most of the glitter rubbed off. But we absolutely love it. I'm not quite sure how I got lucky enough to get it, but I'm not complaining! Happy decorating everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, that ornament is truly one of the "less classy" ornaments in our collection--I never knew either why you both fixated on it--HA! One of my favorites is the child's white & red Biola sock I put some thread through & made into an ornament for you. :o)

Team Harry said...

I totally agree with you!! I buy the kids their own ornament every year and it is so exciting to decorate the tree with memories.....

Anonymous said...

Yes, how did YOU end up with that one??! You are lucky I don't live close enough to come grab it off your tree.

Grandma said...

You had such a nice tree last year too.

We also have an assortment of ornaments, many of which were passed on to Chris to start his own collection. Although, I haven't even put up a tree for the last 2 years since no one comes home for Christmas anymore.

Pretty soon you'll be starting the collecton of homemade corny ornaments made by Cameron and then you'll have to decide which ones to actually put on the tree - ha! What fun!