Friday, November 16, 2007

tipping

Pre-Cam, I used to be very anti take out from a restaurant. Getting food to go from a fast food place was fine. But if I was going to spend $10 on my meal, I wanted the package to include sitting down at the restaurant, enjoying the atmosphere and company. Well, along with MANY other opinions/views that have changed since giving birth, this did too. Because we don't go out to eat much, it is a super treat when we get take out from a restaurant. Typically the only place we do this is Claim Jumpers (and really we only get this a couple times a month) because they have the most incredible chicken salad sandwich. Actually at this very moment I'm chomping at the bit waiting for Chris to finish putting Cam down so we can eat!!

So onto my topic. I used to think that tipping on to-go food was lame. I mean, our waiter didn't have to "wait" on us, right? However after talking to a friend, who was a former waitress, I changed my mind. She said that preparing a to-go order is much more work than waiting on you at a table. It makes sense when you think about it. They have to box up each individual side, include napkins, silverware, etc. When you are at the restaurant, they just bring it out on the plate! So we have started tipping, which is kind of a bummer, because then I'm really paying exactly what I would if we ate there, with none of the perks!

This got me thinking about tipping. Do you tip at Starbucks? If you do, what if you pay with a gift card? Sometimes I do think tipping has gotten a little out of hand. What makes someone at Starbucks more deserving than someone putting together my hamburger at Carl's Jr.?? Thoughts?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You raise a good point about tipping the barista vs. not tipping the hamburger maker. But then, think about a bar tender who gets 18% for taking the cap off a Carona. There are definitely tipping incongruities.

Anonymous said...

Well, this is a bit of an irritation to me. I think your statement that "tipping has gotten a little out of hand" is an understatement. Places that should pay their employees a decent wage slack off & make them depend on the out-of-control tipping expectations.

As for the Claim Jumper example, what's so time consuming about spooning an entree into a carton...instead of onto a plate? And how much time does it take to plop a plastic cutlery package into a sack? 3 seconds maybe? Tipping for take-out still sounds silly to me.

Hmmm, I sound a bit opinionated here. :o)

I'll be interested in other opinions. Maybe I'm all wet. What does Chris think?

Grandma said...

I think tipping is for "personal service". I do not think of take-out as anything other than the normal "job". A waiter comes back to check on the service, the food, etc. Not so for take out. When I use my gift card at Starbucks, I usually do not tip unless........the server has been extra friendly or goes out of their way to initiate conversation - "personal service". I do tip my manicurist and hair stylist. Not, the mailman or the rural route paper delivery. I do however, give a gift to our mail carrier because she occassionally brings our mail into the driveway if she sees us in the yard or has a package and we are at home. Again, that's "personal service" above and beyond normal duties.

I am a better tipper than Wayne.

My thoughts.

Ruthie said...

I would have to agree with you mom a bit! In my dad's home town in Belgium the restaurants expect you to come in for dinner and stay all night, but you do not tip when you leave. The owner knows that the table is occupied for the evening and pays his staff accordingly. It's so nice. I do think that the corporations need to take more responsibility.

I still tip for any food service that I get. If I am really honest most of the time it's because I feel obligated, not because I really think they did an outstanding job.

There is always this question - what about our states that only pay an hourly wage of $3/hour or less? The rest of the wage is expected with tips! If people don't tip it could mean your rent payment or jr's school tuition. So what would you do it that situation?

Team Harry said...

Tip jars have gotten out of control. If I get change back, I will throw in my change. Usually I don't ever even use cash. I found this website on tipping etiquette and I agree that tips are 'Optional'. http://www.betidy.com/trivtip.html