Friday, May 23, 2008

name brands vs. generic

I've said before that I could care less about name brands in clothing. To me, there are more important things to be spending my money on than an extra $100 so that my sweatsuit says "Juicy" rather than "Target". However there are some things, mainly foods, that I do feel like buying the name brand is better. Typically I buy the store brand of most all foods, except when it comes to a few things because they just taste better...

Graham Crackers
Cereal
Yogurt
Cookies

Makeup and lotions are another category that I buy generic. One item Chris and go through like water is lotion (probably because it is so windy out here). I have always loved Bath and Body Works lotion, but we would go broke with the amount we use. I discovered the greatest thing at Walmart. Rather than spending $10 per tube at B&B, I spend $3 at Walmart and it is exactly the same thing! They even look the same...see?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, generic is the BEST!!!! I'm so thankful for generic - especially for things like Advil and Tylenol... you can save a lot of $ !

I agree with you though that there are some things that are just better name-brand. Cheerios for sure.

Donna Stark said...

Hmmm, definitely Oreos (no comparison with generic chocolate sandwich cookies.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, Oreos for sure.

I think generic items have come a long way with packaging, don't you? Didn't they used to be quite plain and unappealing? The lotion bottle you show is just as pretty as the name-brand one.

Oh, and I think the generic names have probably improved too - more appealing.

Taylor Family said...

I'm a store brand girl 99% of the time, but I cannot get myself to eat any other yogurt other than Yoplait. Guess that makes me a yogurt snob, eh??? ;)