Sunday, March 29, 2009

cam update

I've been wanting to write about this for a while, but I honestly didn't want to jinx it. :) Right now we are waiting on our school district to assess Cam in order to decide what services, if any, they want to offer him once he turns 3 (which is when they take over from the county). Right now he attends a speech class, Occupational Therapy, and has a home teacher come out once a week.

To be honest, besides the speech, I wonder if they'll qualify him for much of anything. This is so exciting for me to be able to say. What's even more exciting is what has seemed to happen the past few weeks. We feel like we have turned over a new leaf and have a different little boy.

I've shared several times that Cam has had great difficulties when it came to being around other people. This wasn't all the time, but it happened enough to make us shy away from inviting friends over, pursuing friendships with other couples, etc. But lately Cam has been AMAZING when we have gone over to a friend's house for dinner, when I've taken him to a friend's house for a playdate, when we've taken him to visit his cousins, etc. He has walked right into these places, plopped down, and started playing (even when there are other kids "in his space").

One of the reasons I've hesitated posting this is because I would never want people to think that we didn't enjoy being parents up until this point, because that is no where close to being true. We have adored it. But the stress that we (mainly me) would feel when we would be with others did consume us at times. A friend of mine, who has also had difficulties with her child, put it perfectly. She said, "I can't fully celebrate when she doesn't (freak out) because I'm just waiting for the next time she will." I couldn't have described it better.

Granted, he still has some difficulties with baby noises and still does get overwhelmed sometimes with people. And I know we might regress in this area for whatever reason, but I can honestly say the improvement we have seen is such a blessing and something I want to celebrate.

Sorry this was so long...thanks for sticking it out to the end.

11 comments:

Taylor Family said...

Yahoo! What wonderful news!!! I'm thrilled that both of our little men seem to be doing so well these days. :)

Jannae said...

so encouraging to read! Thanks for posting that!
Today was the first day Baylee stayed in the nursery the whole time! and I seriously had that thought- I don't want to celebrate because next week she will probably freak out again! But I feel encouraged by reading this post!
Thanks! Hey are you guys coming on Tuesday? I have your jacket still!

Donna Stark said...

Yes, this is such cause for celebration and thankfulness. I guess parents who've only had children who acclimate easily can't fully understand the excitement. It's HUGE.

susan said...

SOOOOOOOOO happy to see this post!!!! It is so encouraging to know that he CAN DO IT. I'm sure there will still be hard days occasionally, but I think that in general, things are just going to get better and better!! Praying for my little nephew...

Team Harry said...

I'm so glad to hear he is improving.
I would never question you loving being a parent! Anyone who knows you or reads your blog knows that you all love being parents. It's a struggle for every parent!!
We need to celebrate our kids' victories and give God praise!!

Love you guys!!

Jessica said...

That is wonderful! What a great development :) I'm sure this will make life so much easier and fun for you guys. Praise God!

Jana said...

I don't think anyone could question how much you love being Cameron's mom!

Charlee said...

You don't know me but I came accross your blog from another blog I read and I read this post and I just had to comment. My son is almost 4 and has some of the same behaviors as yours does and some that he has out grown or changed over the year. He was diagnosed with mild aspergers this year. I want to encourage you to tell you to continue the therapy and the schools. I have noticed great improvement with behavioral therapy and we are getting ready to do occupational therapy this year and pre-school in the fall. I know at times it can be hard so if you ever want to vent or talk or compare symptoms please feel free to contact me. I am interested in learning more and seeing what is out there.My email is c.pensak@verizon.net and my blog is www.charleepensak.blogspot.com

Bonnie said...

Hi Kelly,

I'm so encouraged to read this post. I was also happy that Cam and Daniel played so well in the same room together. :)

I'm praying that he will have a smooth and easy transition to being the big brother.

The Bagley Bunch said...

Aw girl, that is AWESOME news!!!!!

Good to chat for a bit on Sunday :)...did priceline ever work out for you?

Helovesyoutoo@yahoo.com
<>< VB

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

It's sounds like you guys have turned a corner! Praise God!!!