Thursday, July 8, 2010

songs

This morning, instead of our usual Jock Jams, I played an old Dixie Chicks while the kids and I were upstairs. I heard a song that brought me back to college. I love how songs can do that. Here are a few of my favorites... (not sure if these are the exact titles)

*"Earl Had to Die"- Dixie Chicks: brings me back to the road trips with my two friends, Jen and Cheryl. This one specifically was played over and over on a trip to San Diego.

*"Cowboy Take Me Away"- Dixie Chicks: Those same friends of mine took a Spanish class with me at Cal State Long Beach one term. We would always listen to this on our drives.

*"Everyday"- Phil Collins: Back when I was in 6th grade, a friend of mine invited me to the river with her family. It was here that I was first introduced to Phil Collins (her parents always had it on). He still is one of my all time favorite artists.

*"Goodbye"- Jodie Messina: This was the theme song for a friend of mine when she decided she was truly over a guy that had been a back and forth thing for a long time.

*"The Way You Look Tonight"- Eric Clapton: This was Chris's favorite song when we met and kind of "our" song for a while.

*"Whip It"- Devo: This was the song to our Homecoming routine back when I was a cheerleader in high school.

*"I Can't Help Falling in Love with You"- UB40: This was my favorite song for a loooong time back in high school and college.

3 comments:

Donna Stark said...

Awww, the power of music. We had some fun songs we used to play in the car going to Mexico to camp with the Grays, too. Remember? Now what WERE they?

Music is powerful...it can provoke to anger & violence...it can evoke romantic feelings...or it can make a heart soar with praise to God.

Have you ever thought of music as one of God's amazing creations? How do you even describe it? "A voice going up & down...a string plucked on a wooden thing...breath blown through a pipe with holes...sticks hit on a surface." And then it all comes together as..."music." Who could have ever thought of "music" other than God?

Team Harry said...

I used to love all those songs! Did you know the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks retired and the other two are in their own band? I listened to a few of their songs and wasn't impressed!!

Jen said...

Mrs. Stark, we were just talking about how crazy music is the other day. There will never be a time when there can be no new music. New melodies are created all the time and always will be! Isn't that a weird thought! It is an amazing creation from God!