Thursday, November 6, 2008

cookbooks

One of my favorite things to do at other people's houses is to look through their cookbooks. I find it so enjoyable to browse through recipes, especially ones with pictures. My favorite place to do this is at my mother-in-law's house. She has loads of books stuffed with lots of recipe clippings. I could sit in their recliner for hours just going through each book.

My favorite cookbooks that I use are actually just the $3.99 ones you see in the check out line of the grocery store. I have found these to be so easy and delicious.



Whenever I make a recipe from any cookbook, I'll write the date I made it, the rating Chris and I gave it (1-10), and any notes on the actual recipe. When I'm searching for a recipe in the future, it is helpful to know what we thought of it previously.



My other favorite cookbook/magazine is Taste of Home. For some reason, I think it is fun to read the story behind each recipe such as, "My aunt Gertrude used to make this casserole every Tuesday night for her Bingo nights..." I think it is fun to envision the recipe I want to make having been made somewhere in North Dakota on Bingo
Night. :)

Lastly, check out this hot mama. Back when my dad was running for office, the campaign created this cooking pamphlet with my mom on the front (and my family on the left) with family recipes. I keep this more for sentimental reasons, but I actually do use a couple recipes from it including Big Mommy's Coffee Cake and a fabulous hot fudge recipe!



p.s. I know this is a rather shallow comment considering a couple of nights ago was such a monumental night for the Obama family, but wasn't Michelle's dress beautiful!!?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I just LOVE doing this too. And I love those little "fun facts" about each recipe too. =) And making notes on a recipe after trying it is sooooooooo helpful 'cause you really do forget....

Coming from a house highly knowledgeable in tech stuff, you really should have that Chris teach you how to scan.

Anonymous said...

I look looking thru cookbooks, but it's always a plus when their are pictures... It's like watching Food network : )

It's funny how much people are hating on Michelle's (our 1st lady) dress. I liked it too!!

Jen said...

All these years and I never knew your mom was on the cover of a cookbook! That is SO awesome!

Anonymous said...

Your so funny, you and your cookbooks.

Dressgate: I though her dress was awful, it made her look like she had a gut! Mrs. Obama needs to leave dresses like that for the models it was made for or the hanger it came on.

Donna Stark said...

Thumbs up for writing comments on recipes--invaluable!

Jen, I'll autograph one for you if you want. You could probably sell it on eBay to finance a house or something.

Team Harry said...

I always want to buy those cheap cookbooks but never do... maybe I will now.

I can't believe you are that organized that you write down Chris' ratings on all the meals you make!! Great idea!!

I liked Michelle's dress!! This president is going to bring some youthfulness to the White House!!