Monday, February 14, 2011

birthdays and a little perspective

Yesterday Cam and I went to his first birthday party for a girl in his class. I saw a bounce house as we drove up, which I thought would be perfect. He was pretty hesitant when he looked in the backyard and saw everyone. He kept telling me he was, "a little bit scared". I tried to get him to jump, but he only lasted a couple minutes. So we sat by ourselves for a little while and had a snack. As I sat there, I started feeling envious of the other parents, who could just waltz into the party, plop on a chair, and watch their kids run off to play. This has never really been my reality.

But then I shook myself and realized how ungrateful I was being. Here we were at a party full of people Cam didn't know. He wasn't upset. He wasn't crying. He said hi to a few kids. How could I not be thrilled with this!? He's a little hesitant...who cares! He was doing amazing for Cameron. :) And about 15 minutes later, he actually went into the bounce house, on his own, and jumped for a long time with the other kids. Overall we had a great first birthday party. :)

p.s. Happy Valentines Day! Here is a pic of the kids in their new clothes from Chris's parents. They sent them both cute little Valentines packages with new clothes, candy, and a new Thomas train for Cam. Thanks you!!!

2 comments:

Donna Stark said...

You're so right...that was a great accomplishment for Cam...staying, not getting upset, not crying, saying hi to kids...and then going in & jumping with them. I guess part of it is he just needs a little more time to acclimate to a situation. Good for you for not rushing him.

And what better non-family birthday party to debut at than his little friend who has made his pre-K class so happy for him.

Laura said...

Love this, Kelly! What a praise! :)