Thursday, February 3, 2011

thoughts from a magazine

Chris and I often ask one another, "If you could do anything you wanted today, what would it be?" (this question often pops up during a loooong day with the kids). My answer is almost always, "I would lie by the pool reading a magazine." The pool part isn't for a tan, because for some reason, I care very little about that now that I'm older. The pool part is simply a relaxing atmosphere, accompanied by my favorite relaxing activity, reading a magazine.

I don't subscribe to very many, so I like to check out a few every now and then at the library. Here are some interesting things I learned from the latest issue of Health.

*You should replace your toothbrush once a month (sorry, not going to happen)
*You should disinfect your remote control every couple days (good idea...but probably won't happen)
*Germs can't live in the freezer
*Cell phones carry 500 times more bacteria than a toilet seat (yuck!!)

I love to read recipes in magazines. My crock pot currently is simmering with a chili recipe I found in a Woman's Day. This may sound dumb, but I have a big pet peeve when it comes to articles about healthy snacks. Here is an example:

Below is a picture of a suggestion for a healthy snack. Looks good, right? However when you read how to make it, you realize you can only put a 1/2 TEASPOON of Nutella on each slice of bread. Does that look like 1/2 a teaspoon? Looks like a lot more to me!! Seems like pictures of a recipe rarely match the ingredients (the healthy ones anyway).



One more...does this look like 1/2 a teaspoon of whipped cream on top? How about 1/2 a cup!!!



I know, there are bigger things to worry about in this life, but this one just gets to me. :)

3 comments:

Donna Stark said...

That drip of Nutella that has escaped onto the crust alone is 1/2 tsp!!

Charlee said...

If you would like to not borrow so many magazines from the library I will pass you mine. I get good housekeeping(gift) family circle and womans day(my mom's) fitness and shape. I would be more then happy to hand them down when I am done I feel guilty tossing them in the recycle bin!

Anonymous said...

So, are you reading People, or Home & Garden, or Real Simple or ??

I love the question what would you do today if you could. Sometimes its just a nice distraction. :)