Saturday, March 17, 2012

top 5


I recently read a book that definitely ranks in my top five of all time. It is called Unbroken, and I believe I'm a little late in the game as it was on the best seller list for quite a while. It is the true story of the Olympic athlete Louis Zamperini, whose WWII plane crashed and was captured by the Japanese.

It was one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. However the word "fascinating" is almost too positive of a word to describe it. What he went through is utterly unimaginable and made me feel rather pathetic for the things I complain about in my life. While some parts are hard to read (gruesome as far as how he was treated), it is SUCH a good story and I would highly, highly, highly recommend it if you want a book that you just can't put down.

p.s. The author is the same one who wrote Seabiscuit, one that I adored also. Not being a horse person, let alone a racing horse person, the fact that she held my attention soooo well speaks very highly to her writing! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here, here!!! I so agree! I couldn't put down Unbroken either. And you didn't even spoil the surprise.

And I agree that it's one of those true stories that puts my problems in perspective.

There's not much that can beat being in the middle of reading a can't-put-it-down book.
Mom