Thursday, August 30, 2007

happy birthday, mom!



Last night we celebrated my mom's birthday. During dinner, we took part in what has become a Stark tradition (I apologize if I'm wrong, but I think this came from Bethany, to Kristen, now to me?). I asked mom several questions about this past year and the one about to come, such as, "What was your favorite memory last year?", or "What are you most looking forward to next year?". Anyway, during this time, she began to tell us about another thing she was celebrating on this day. Here it is in her own words:

This month was a very special month for me. It was my 40th spiritual birthday. I love to think back to that amazing week in August of 1967 when I came from Texas to California with a friend to attend a conference with
her. I had no idea what it was really about, but from the moment I stepped
off the shuttle at the conference, I was confronted with something that
amazed me--a large group of people my age (early 20's)...who were
joyful...who talked excitedly about what they were learning in the
Bible...who worshipped wholeheartedly when they sang hymns...who prayed to God as though they knew Him personally...in short, people who knew & loved
Christ passionately.And I was blown away! I have realized since then that
even before the night that week that I gave my life to Jesus, I had fallen
in love with Him because I saw Him in their lives.

God then began to change my life. I returned to Dallas, bought a good
Bible, started attending a Bible-teaching church, got into a single women's
Bible study, and started growing in my walk with Christ. He changed my
dating life (why would I want to date someone who didn't love Him too?)...He
began to show me areas of selfishness in my life...and basically just began
to reveal to me through His Word how awesome He is. I could ramble on
forever, but I'll just say, "Thank you, Lord, for your love, your
sacrifice...and for that great week in 1967! Happy Birthday to me!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! So neat! And of course you and I also were greatly impacted by that "amazing week in August of 1967" even though we were not yet born. God works in beautiful ways.