Wednesday, August 8, 2007

heaven in a muffin cup and other spiritual things

I mentioned a while back that Chris and I are reading, The Jesus of Suburbia, by Mike Erre. The most recent chapter we read was very interesting. He talked about how many Christians view people as the enemy, rather than the sin/evil behind it all. We fight against people, and end up hurting them in the process. For instance, he states that while many Christians are so determined to fight to the death against same sex marriage, they neglect to address the fact that we have just as high of a divorce rate as non-Christians. Shouldn't some of those energies be directed toward solving that problem? If, let's say, I chose same sex marriage to be my "cause". Rather than participating in rallies and picketing court houses, wouldn't my energies be better spent volunteering to minister to those homosexuals who have been affected by aids and live in hospices? Or wouldn't some Christian's time on a pro-life picket line be better spent volunteering in a pregnancy counseling center? I'm not saying protesting is wrong and doesn't have an impact (sometimes), but it seems like the love for people gets lost a lot during those activities. I'll end my little rant with a quote from the book: "It is easier to condemn the world around us than to try and redeem it."


On a different spiritual note, I had a spiritual experience today of a different kind. Chris and I stopped by a bakery in downtown Redlands, where I purchased a fudge caramel muffin. As I was devouring it, I gave Chris my rating between 1-10. So what was my rating? A BAZILLION!!!!! I simply cannot explain to you the amazing, downright sinfulness of each and every bite. Pure heaven.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great quote: "Its easier to condemn the world around us than to redeem it!" i love that.

Team Harry said...

Christianity and Condemnation shouldn't mix.... Isn't it interesting how Christians forget to Love??
Thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

Great reminder by Mike Erre--and Kelly Petinak. Thanks! I think it's so great that you & Chris have chosen to read books & discuss them. When do you do the discussion? On a certain day of the week?

Grandma said...

Intense thoughts to ponder. Wayne has just started the book.

That muffin looks sinfully delicious especially to those on new "healthy eating plans"! Ugh!

Anonymous said...

That muffin sounds divine.

I remember hearing that the statistic that 50% of Christians divorce (the same as the secular community) is not correct. And yes, I need to quote my source. Gotta find it again first! =) But I do remember hearing that that is not a reliable statistic - although it's sadly still high.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have heard that statistic is misleading because it encompasses all those who would consider themselves "Christian"--including those who just think of "Christian" as kind of synonymous (sp?) with "American." When the general population statistic is compared with "Christians who worship in a church regularly & pray together," it's a much bigger gap.

I mentioned your fudge caramel muffin last night & a girl said "Shoot--I ALMOST got that yesterday, but opted for something else."