Thursday, August 2, 2007

Home Depot and bikinis

Hmmm...I bet I got your attention with that title, huh? I'll get to it at the end. First off, Tuesday night we had my mom and her best friend (since high school!) out for dinner. My dad is in Ethiopia on a missions trip. They have been having so much fun as this is Susan's first time in CA. They went to Disneyland yesterday and will go to Santa Monica (3rd St.) later this week. Susan wanted to do the Hollywood thing, but the city isn't all that impressive (kind if dirty, I think), so we thought Santa Monica would be more fun and she can see the beach also. We had a great time having them over and hearing stories of when they were teenagers.



Yesterday we went to Gymboree for play time. It wasn't an actual class, just open to come and play with your kids. Chris's parents gave Cam an early birthday present of a 12 week class there! I was so excited! He really loves it so far.


Ok, so onto my title. Chris was in line at Home Depot the other day. In front of him was a guy, then in front of him was a husband/wife. The wife was wearing shorts and a bikini top. Now, I have no problem with bikinis...but in Home Depot??? She was...shall we say... not hard on the eyes. Anyway, the husband turns to the guy behind him and says, "Are you looking at my wife??" The guy says he is not (which I'm sure wasn't true, but what man isn't going to look at a woman in a bikini???). The husband (clearly just looking to be a punk) continues on with the guy, getting in his face and using very colorful language. In steps Chris. He kind of wedges himself in between the two men and asks the husband to calm down. Well, the husband's colorful expletives are then turned on Chris.

Finally Chris says (very calmly...he wasn't looking to escalate things), "Sir, if you don't want men to look at your wife, then she shouldn't dress like that." Wow!! Very "Dr. Laura-ish", if you ask me (meaning saying something blunt and what everyone else was thinking). He did say he was a little surprised that he actually said it. But honestly, it needed to be said. I think far too often women walk around dressed totally immodestly, then get upset when they get looks from men. Anyway, the man used some more of his lovely language, put his things down, and stormed out. In case you are wondering, the wife just stood there the entire time and said nothing.

I was quite proud of Chris.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON, CHRIS!!!!! A hilarious story and I'm proud of you, too! Just wish I could've witnessed it, too--would've LOVED to see that! And, yes, Susan & I are having a ball--Disneyland was spectacular seen through the eyes of someone who's never been to California before. But having dinner with you 3 was even higher on the "special" list!

Anonymous said...

...and yes, I think it's both hilarious and ridiculous to see women dressed like a hooker, calmly browsing the aisles at Target trying to act oblivious to all the stares she's getting.

Team Harry said...

Wow!! That's awesome Chris!! I'd b worried that he is going to his car to get his gun!! U never know now adays~ The guys problem is with his wife, not U!!

Anonymous said...

Such an interesting interaction! I am SOOOO glad I wasn't there. I would have gotten a stomach ache. Maybe even thrown up. I just hate discord. =) But I SURE would like to have viewed that on camera!

Chris, you are a GUTSY THANG.

At the end of the day, the bikini thing is just sad. Really sad. If your cleavage is showing, then TOO MUCH IS SHOWING. Good grief. Have some respect for yourself and for the people around you. And for the children, for crying out loud.

I am so glad you got to spend time with Mom and my namesake. =)

Grandma said...

Yeah, that's Chris alright! Where on earth did you get such "shutzpah"?

That is so neat that Donna is getting time to spend with her friend. Great memories for all of you.

Cameron does chin ups like his grandma - ha!

Robert and Liz Crews said...

If I was big as a house I wouldn't be afraid of some little "Beaumont" geek. Wait I am! DANG!