Friday, August 17, 2007

today...the good and the bad

Today had a couple pretty low points...but I'm going to list some high points/things I'm thankful for to try and outweigh the two.

LOW
*We purchased an air conditioning unit for our window. We have central air, however our bedroom does not seem to cool down on really hot nights. We purchased the unit in the hopes of lowering our electric bill by not having to run the air as much. Chris HATES putting things like this together. He is constantly telling me how much quicker a handyman could do it or how no one else has as much trouble as he does. I'm quick to remind him that while that might be true, a handyman couldn't create postcards, newsletters, logos, etc. near as well as he does. My point? He is a graphic designer, not a handyman. Anyway, we finally got it put together and...it didn't work. If there ever was a time to cuss, it was when we hit that power button and nothing happened (and yes, we tried everything to get it to work). So we took it apart, packaged it up, and away to Sears Chris went. After all that, we decided against the purchase and are just hoping for some cooler nights. Here is a pic of Chris and the mess we created.



*For our health insurance, we have a health savings account (HSA). We had to cancel our account (and therefore our check book) at one point b/c we lost the checkbook. Once we found it, we then accidently used it a few times without realizing it. So then it looked as though we had insufficient funds, due to the account being closed. Long story short, we owe a wopping $90 in "service charges". I keep thinking, "That's two trips to Cheesecake Factory, or 25 frappuchinos, or a super cute outfiit, or...all stop. I'm depressing myself.

HIGH
*We had a great time at Gymboree today
*My mom babysat so Chris and I could go out to lunch
*We actually HAVE health insurance...something I never want to take for granted
*I'm LOVING my Harry Potter book (I'm rereading the one right before the new one to refresh myself)
*We get to see all of our friends out in OC tomorrow for our friend's birthday

Hmmm...I think those should outweigh the first two, don't you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you two had a rough day! Kelly, you are so good to find the "good" in something that is not so terrific!!!

I'm with you Chris!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Noonie! You always try to think of a positive to counter the negative. Buuuuuuuuuummer about the air conditioner--I would be SO frustrated, too! I have almost no patience with mechanical things!

Anonymous said...

Yes, those are all things to be thankful for!

you know . . . you have so many friends in the OC, and it isn't NEARLY as hot here, maybe the Lord is 'pulling' (as Susan would say) you elsewhere. There is a house for sale two doors down from a really, really friendly (but not imposing) family nearby . . .

Team Harry said...

Glen can sympathize....He had that happen with a ceiling fan!!! Which is a huge pain to put it up and figure out it doesn't work!!
Thanks for calling your former OC friend today!!! Love you!!