Monday, March 31, 2008

lost dog

Yesterday as I was waiting for my drink at Starbucks, I noticed a sign on their wall regarding a missing dog. The people were offering a $1000 reward if the dog was found. Later as I was telling Chris about the steep reward, I told him that I don't think I would feel right accepting $1000 for simply doing a good deed for someone. Obviously they feel very strongly about this dog. Granted, I don't think I could ever justify spending that much on a reward for a non-human, but the fact remains that they really miss their dog. I just wouldn't feel right about accepting such a generous amount for something like that. Chris and I proceeded to have quite a lengthy debate about this and we both have very strong and very different opinions. I'll let him give you his side and you let us know what you think...

(Chris)My feeling on this is pretty simple. If someone is willing to give $1000 to me for finding their dog; I clearly deserve the money more than they do. I think it’s ludicrous for someone to spend that kind of money on a reward for a dog. Kelly thinks it would be weird to accept that kind of money for finding the dog. Why would they offer it if they would have trouble giving it to me? For $1000, I’m not going to go door-to-door looking for this dog. I’d keep my eyes out and if I saw it
. . .payday. I would probably keep the same lookout for a $100 reward but they’re not offering $100, they’re offering $1000. Why? I don’t know and it doesn’t really matter, the terms are pretty clear and I’m game if they are. Here are three scenarios in which I can understand offering a $1000 reward for a dog:

The dog originally cost $5-$10k
This could be understandable as it would appear they’re just protecting their originally absurd investment
The dog is a seeing-eye-dog or has special skills that would aid somebody
In this instance, I would consider the reward even more insane. If it were my dog, I would put a picture of the dog and in huge letters say “SEEING EYE DOG MISSING.” I would never accept a reward in this instance.
The dog poops gold bricks
This is pretty self-explanatory. However, if somebody did have a dog that could do this, they clearly don’t deserve to own it as they let it escape. In this case, it would take a lot more than $1000 for me to return it. I may need to keep it for a week or two before turning it back over.

8 comments:

Donna Stark said...

Hmmmm, how about this angle? If it was a $50 reward, I would have a hard time taking it because it would seem that it's people who couldn't afford to offer a large reward, but really stretched themselves to get their beloved dog back.

Also, the return could go something like this:
Owner: Oh, THANK YOU! Let me get the $1,000.
Me: No, that's all right."
Owner: Oh, I insist!
Me: Well, all right.

Team Harry said...

You guys are hilarious and I love this about you!!! As a fairly new owner of my 1st dog, I can relate w/ giving a big reward for a dog that is part of our family. My kids would be miserable without their dog.

Anonymous said...

What a funny post! Just curious, how much of a reward WOULD you guys offer if you had a precious dog that you adored and it went missing?! :)

Anonymous said...

Obviously you haven't met TESSA YET......she is the NEW jointly adopted dog of aunt noonie and Deb..... we bet you might have different thoughts after meeting her!!!

Anonymous said...

Anyone who would accept a $1000 reward for a found dog is cruel and heartless and probably a closet-cat lover.

Anonymous said...

Some people view thier dog as a third child. Seriously. So then, it doesn't seem strange to offer $1,000 for a child. That actually sounds low and insulting. They should really up that to at LEAST $100,000, or stop referring to the hairy animal as their baby child.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly, this is Susan's friend Heather. As a dog lover and owner of two of the most adorable beagles you'll ever meet I had to chime in. Although there is a limit to what I'd pay for my dog, $1000 is definitely within my range ... and I'd insist you take it. At the risk of getting mocked, they were definitely my first "babies."

Ross and Amy Free said...

Perhaps this angry mob has never seen Ace Ventura? I thought finding dogs for money was an acceptable profession.
Speaking of pet lovers, everyone should read this story...
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23483710-1702,00.html