Saturday, August 8, 2009

angel food and cantelope

A while back my sister posted a recipe for Chocolate Angel Food Cake. Today we went to visit some friends and I was in charge of dessert. I decided to give it a shot. I will say that it is quite labor intensive. Homemade angel food cake involves LOTS of mixing (the egg whites). The frosting was also made out of heavy whipping cream, which again involves LOTS of mixing. I must say, though, that it turned out quite tasty. Would I make it again? Not sure. If you are a dessert wimp and don't like things super rich, then you'll love it. I gave it an 8 because although it was good enough for Chris and I to bust it out on the way home from our friend's house (it was an hour drive, in our defense!), it wasn't rich enough to warrant a 10 rating. If you are interested, here is the recipe.

Cam, enjoying licking the bowl of leftover frosting:


I've been a little behind in my recipe attempts from my Rachel Ray magazines, so I decided to try one tonight. What a winner!! Now you need to keep an open mind with this one...but trust me, it is awesome! It is called Pasta with Prosciutto and Melon. Basically it is a tomato cream sauce made with cantaloupe. The sweetness of the cantaloupe plus the saltiness of the bacon (I used in place of the prosciutto) plus the creaminess of the heavy cream (no, it isn't low fat) makes for a fabulous sauce! Please try it if you are in the mood for something different. Here is the recipe...

4 comments:

Donna Stark said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you're right, it does sound weird...but glad you enjoyed it. :o)

Jen said...

A VERY yummy appetizer in Italy is pruschetto (sp) with cantelope! Sometimes I TOTALLY crave it...sounds strange but yes, VERY yummy!

Jessica said...

wow, that pasta sounds yummy and different. I just bought a cantaloupe... I might have to try making it this week for dinner.

Team Harry said...

Oh man!! I love a good pasta recipe!!
But I'm afraid I'd eat it all and I'm trying to make good choices right now!

Sounds so YUMMY!