Monday, August 24, 2009

beef


I have never been a big red meat person. The only kind I really love is ground beef, like in a hamburger (however Chris says that does not count). The two main reasons are that it mostly seems super fatty and gross to me, plus I just don't think most cuts have THAT much flavor (as opposed to chicken).

Chris is a huge red meat fan, and probably quite disappointed as my cooking rarely includes it. One of the things that frustrates me are the number of cuts and the varying names. For instance, I looked up a recipe today that called for Beef Top Sirloin. Simple, right? So often I'll then go to the store and find everything BUT this cut. I'll find rib, round roast, top loin, tenderloin, etc.. Then they'll stick an "eye" in their somewhere that really throws me for a loop.

I like chicken. Pure and simple. In fact, the other day my mom was teasing me about this. I was trying to tell her about some great chicken I had at Pat and Oscars. I said, "They weren't even chicken breasts", to which she replied, "What were they?". I then proceeded to try and describe the shape to her. She then laughed and commented on how my generation is so spoiled with boneless skinless chicken breasts, we don't even know what parts of the chicken are! That's ok by me. :)

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Cuts of meat confuse me too! I do like cooking with red meat, and you can get some really lean cuts. My problem with it is the price, or like you I can't find what I need. I don't like to spend too much money on it either. It is much easier to thaw a few frozen chicken breasts and use them in recipes :)

The exception is when it comes to good steak. That is a special treat for us, but worth the money to me :)

susan said...

Hey at least your butcher speaks English! Try figuring out a cut of meat when it's all in German. I gave up awhile ago. =)

Donna Stark said...

Yeah, you come by your lack of beef cut knowledge naturally because your mother doesn't know much either.

Ross and Amy Free said...

Chris likes red meat? Who knew?

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

You've got to try the chicken brine that I just posted...it was so flavorful and juicy!!!