Friday, August 14, 2009

doughy

I LOVE, LOVE to bake. I always have. When it comes to cookies and brownies, I'm known for underbaking. That's the way I like them. I don't like crispy cookies and I don't like dry brownies. When the middle of the cookie still looks uncooked, I take them out. In the same way, when the brownies are still a little raw in the middle (within reason...I'm not a fan of salmonella!), I'll take them out.

In addition, half the fun of baking is eating as you do it. I also enjoy cutting the brownies because they ALWAYS need their edges straightened...and what better place for those scraps than in my mouth. Today we made brownies and Cam was quite helpful in the cleaning up part...



I also have a theory on mixes. When it comes to brownies, mixes are fine ONLY if you add extra chocolate chips. Otherwise they are not very good and I can always tell the difference. With cakes, I actually prefer the mixes. When I make them from scratch, I can never get them as moist. And lastly for cookies, homemade is a must, unless you again add more chocolate chips. My mother in-law makes the BEST chocolate chip cookies that start out from a mix, but she adds all sorts of extra goodies that make them divine.

Ok, I'm getting hungry. Hopefully my brownies will be done soon so I can cut them up, making sure all the edges are even. :)

5 comments:

Jessica said...

We are totally opposite because I LOVE the edges of brownies... I like them to be a little crispy. As for cookies I like to over bake them because I like them crispy as well. As much as I LOVE desert I've been known to turn away a doughy brownie! haha.

My hubby and I fight over the corners of brownies. I've even considered buying that awesome brownie pan that is shapes like a square "s" so that ALL the brownies have edges!

I totally disagree with you on cake mixes. I think box cakes are YUCK. I have some fabulous recipes for homemade cakes... perhaps I could change your mind ;)

Cookies must be baked from scratch for me :) Although I do think the pre-made chocolate chip dough that you can buy is yummy.

Kelly said...

Shoot! I should have written this post before I brought you dinner! I have a feeling the cookies I included were a little too doughy! I do like crispy edges on lasagna, burnt is even better!

Charlee said...

My hubby and I have the brownie thing down. He likes the crispy edges and I love the gooey centers! I also like my cookies soft.

Donna Stark said...

What IS it about those chocolate box mix cakes that we love so much??? I think they're fabulous!

Team Harry said...

I hate crispy cookies or brownies too!

Do you have The Cake doctor book? My mother in law gave it to me and I absolutely love it! I'm not even a cake eater and every cake I've made is sooo good!