Monday, August 3, 2009

hot and cold

I've noticed that many times my days can go from hot (good) to cold (bad) and back several times. This morning was one of those days:

Hot: While Kendall napped, I got to play with Cam out in the street with our neighbor boy. We had such fun "chasing" the boy on his scooter. Cam was hyper happy and such a fun play partner.

Cold: I often feel guilty that I don't take Cam to the park daily (like before Kendall was born). This morning I decided to take him on our way to speech class. I didn't let Kendall go down for her 2nd nap, hoping she would sleep in the car. Nope. Cried the whole way to the park...making Cam cry. Got to the park and Cam didn't want to play b/c there were too many kids. He'll play when that is the case as long as I'm right there with him. But I had to feed Kendall, so he just stood there. Finally he got on one toy, only to get right off because another boy got on too (which he doesn't like). I was frustrated b/c I messed up Kendall's sleeping all out of mommy guilt for Cam and he didn't even play at the park. Then they both cried all the way to speech class.

Hot: Cam did awesome (as he always does) in his class and it was such a joy to listen to his loud little voice belting out words.

Cold: Kendall cried the whole way home b/c she was soo overtired...making Cam cry to the point of screaming a few times...making me lose the fight (to hold back tears) and cry also.

Hot: After putting Cam down for his nap, we listened as he climbed down and began to change the noise sounds on his sound machine as well as play with his trains. This was quite mischievous, but very cute and we enjoyed listening to our little guy and his antics.

Hot: Both kids were down for their naps at the same time, allowing Chris and I to eat lunch together.

Cold: The cuteness has worn off and I'm starting to wonder if Cam is going to go down at all for a nap, which will make for a long afternoon.


It is amazing to me how one morning could take me through so many different emotions, within such a short amount of time. I've come to realize that is mommyhood in a nutshell and I better get used to it. Now I'm off to figure out what to do with a non-napping kiddo.

4 comments:

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Hang in there!!!

Donna Stark said...

You're so right--parenthood is UP and then DOWN and then UP and then DOWN...but usually MANY more UPs.

You have a special challenge in driving anywhere with the 2 kids by yourself because there's nothing you can do from the driver's seat to stop Kendall's crying. I know how upsetting that drive must have been with Cam so upset. I'm so sorry.

I'd love to have seen you and Cam and the neighbor boy chasing around.

Jessica said...

It is kinda crazy how days can be so up and down like that. I had a similar day.... my morning was awesome, and then the afternoon was super rough. I suppose it's good we have those good moments thrown in between the rough ones :)

Jessica said...

p.s.... you took Cam to the park EVEry day before Kendall? WOW! I'm doing good if I take Ethan to the park once a month!