Thursday, December 3, 2009

today in the car...

Chris: I have something I want to throw out there. I just want you to think about it and be open to discussion.
Me: Ok... (in a slightly concerned voice)
Chris: I want to talk about a 3rd child.
Me: What??!!!!??? (my disclaimer to this is that even before Kendall was born, we had officially decided we would be done at 2 kids...so this was very out of the blue)
Chris: Haha! Just kidding! But really, I did want to talk to you about something. I think for 2010, we should talk about doing a budget.
Me: Oh (in a less than thrilled tone of voice).
Chris: See, compared to suggesting a 3rd kid, this is nothing! Right?? It's not that I think you spend too much. I just think it would be a good idea to see where our money is going.

So we went on to discuss why it would be a good idea to start a budget. I'm honestly very open to the idea and agree that it would probably be good. I just HATE budgets. We do budget our eating out as well as Chris's golf, because those are the areas that could possibly get out of hand. But for some reason, I am VERY non-excited about having to keep track of every penny I spend on groceries, necessities, etc. I always look for the cheapest food prices and I rarely by clothes for myself or do things like get my hair done. However, when I really think about it, I probably do spend money on things that aren't necessary. For this reason, a budget would be helpful. So come 2010, looks like we'll be giving www.mint.com a shot. Hopefully I'll get used to it and it will become second nature to record everything.

5 comments:

Donna Stark said...

I think that is AWESOME! I'm convinced a written accounting always surprises us.

Anonymous said...

I love the way Chris started that conversation. Hilarious. It made me catch my breath! Welcome to the wonderful world of budgeting. Mint is great and seeing where everything is going is actually kind of nice (I'm keeping a positive attitude).

Jessica deBruyn said...

We LOVE mint! It's the easiest tool to use, and it's so much fun to see where your money is going, and really empowers you to make deliberate choices about where your money goes! Best of luck! I think you'll grow to love it!

amy free said...

Haahaaa! That weird sort of reverse psychology is totally something that Ross would pull! Love it :)

Unknown said...

Noah will be so proud. You guys will probably go with some easy software, perhaps Mint like Ana said, and everytime you log in to do your budget, just think of me with my 15 excell spreadsheets with percentages, calculations, and crazy numbers all over the place and be thankful :)