Wednesday, December 2, 2009

today

This morning I had Cam skip school so we could go over and make Christmas cookies with some of the girls from my mom's group. He was quite excited, especially considering I told him there would be sprinkles involved. Unfortunately, he didn't do so well. He felt overwhelmed most of the time. He didn't cry, which is such a great improvement for him. However I could tell (by certain things he did) that he was feeling very anxious. So we had to come home early. I'll be honest and say that I was pretty discouraged. I think I had my hopes built up that we were more passed this type of thing than we really are. But after a good pep talk from my mom (and I didn't cry at all when I called her...well, maybe a little...well, I guess quite a bit...) about focusing on all the huge progress he HAS made, as well as a fun time decorating just the two of us when we got home, I was much better.



This afternoon I used an idea from a book I had borrowed, entitled Bright Start. It has great ideas of activities to do with kids. I created our own little scavenger hunt. We went on a walk and checked off each thing we saw. It was kind of fun and made the walk a little less mundane. :)

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh, Kelly, I'm sorry that you had to leave early. I'm glad that you brought him and were able to stay for a while, though. :) I thought that he did really well talking to me and playing on the floor when you first got there. Your mom is right - it seems like he has made much progress (from what I've read on here)! I'm glad that you enjoyed decorating at home, too.

I LOVE that idea of a scavenger hunt on a walk - why haven't I thought of that before?! We'll have to try it.

Donna Stark said...

Actually, I can't take credit for reminding you of Cam's great progress...you were already reminding YOURSELF of it. Remember? I just wholeheartedly agreed! He's SO far beyond where he used to be.

Oh, my gosh, that is the cutest chart! I'm like Bonnie...I'm thinking "Why didn't I ever think of that?"

sfitz said...

That is a GREAT idea to do for walks! My kids will love that!

krista said...

I am sure it has to be hard and frustrating. I am glad you are focusing on his progress though, because that is what matters. You are an amazing Mom. Keep in mind that all kids have "off" days too. (As do I..) :)

Cute scavenger hunt chart!

susan said...

I'm so sorry you were discouraged, Kelly. =(

I'm so happy you got to do some fun decorating at home, and more than that, I've been SOOO thrilled and encouraged by all his progress over the past few years!!! He has come SO far!!

Love your scavenger hunt idea! And you can go on Slug Hunts when it rains (though I guess that probably doesn't happen so much there!) Anything to shake things up a bit! =)

Charlee said...

Soory you had to go early but the fact that he didn't cry is huge! That is a big milestone. Breven used to scream arround others for almost a year and now he is in school and is great. It just takes time and there is hope that things get better. As one mom told me "it could be worse and it could be better but when he gets better its more amazing then any normal child will ever be"