Tuesday, August 12, 2008

quick trick

Right now I'm reading a very good book called "Total Control". It is very John
Grisham -like, which is great because he is one of my favorite authors. One of the things I run into many times when reading a book is trying to keep all of the characters straight. The more there are the harder it obviously is. As I was reading, I found myself frustrated, and then the thought hit me, "This is my mom's book. I wonder if..." YES! My mom has a great system of writing herself a cheat sheet in the back of the book with all of the characters and their roles. As she encounters a new one, she adds it to the list. It has been so helpful to me and makes for a better read. This may not be that groundbreaking to many of you, but it is something I never would have thought of and have found it so helpful!



On a side note, I found it quite funny when I began reading the book as there were a couple phrases that really dated it. I wasn't sure when it was written until I read these two phrases, "He checked his electronic mailbox frequently" and "She took out her portable phone". So funny how words like that seem funny now in the world of email and cell. "Portable phones" remind of me of the huge, boxy, Zach Morris type from Saved By the Bell days. Didn't you think those were so cool??

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Good idea! I hate when I can't remember who characters are. I also love that author, and I've read that book :)