Friday, August 8, 2008

the spoon salad

My mom is the queen of salads. Chris often teases her because he has probably never had a meal of hers that wasn't accompanied by a salad. And when Cam and I go over there for lunch and return, he says, "Let me guess...salad for lunch?". Anyway, sometimes salads are hard to eat because a)you can't get a piece of all of your salad contents in one bite and b)it's hard to mix at the beginning and evenly coat everything with dressing. So...I invented the Spoon Salad (actually my mom initially gave me the rough idea). Basically you take all of your ingredients and chop them up super small, like almost food processor small (but obviously not to mush). Not only can you get loads more veggies in your bowl than you normally would, but it is sooo easy to eat and you get a little bit of everything in each bite!!

These are all the veggies that went into just my salad!


Here is the finished product, with chicken, craisens, green onions, and nuts. Also, I found a little trick to use less dressing. I sprinkle a couple tablespoons of water over the salad first. Then when you add the dressing, it coats much quicker and you use less overall!

5 comments:

Donna Stark said...

Wow--you took the cutting to a new level. I'm going to have to get to choppin' to catch up. Picture A looks more like a nice restaurant, but Picture B better insures that each bite incorporates all the flavors. :o)

Either way, that is one healthy (& tasty)lunch!

Jessica said...

Good idea! I like having everything in one bite, I'll have to try that :) I am a bit obsessed with salads myself, we have one with almost every meal I prepare for dinner. I also like to eat them at lunch time too :)

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, very yummy! I'm a great fan of flavor-blending myself. =)

You are lucky there to have such a great variety of delicious dressings too!

Team Harry said...

Yummy!!! I love the idea, I just don't think it looks at appetizing...

Cindy Kay said...

Thanks for the visual :)Im going to try that!