Friday, February 20, 2009

best all around bar

Back in Jr. High, a friend of mine introduced me to what would become my all time favorite cookie bar, Gooey Bars. We used to make them all the time and in fact, on one of my birthdays, her present was actually a box full of ingredients enough to make 5 batches. :)

I still love these bars (and probably make a batch weekly for different people) but not only now for their good taste, but because they are:

*Super easy and quick to make
*Great to make and put into the freezer for when you need to bring treats sometime
*Great to mail. They stay fresh for sooo long! I mailed some to Chris's aunt back when she had knee surgery. For some reason, she wasn't able to open the package for a week after she received them. They were still yummy!

So if you are looking for a good all around cookie bar, these are awesome. I like to underbake them a little, especially if I'm mailing them. I feel like they take longer to dry out.

Here is a plate I made last night for Chris. He is spending the weekend with his aunt (golfing) and I figured they could use some treats out on the holes. :) The green you see are just some M&M's I threw in (sidenote: why on earth would a "Valentines" bag of M&M's be all green???).


Gooey Bars

1 package (3 come in a box) of crushed graham crackers
1 stick melted butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup coconut
1 cup chocolate chips (or any flavor...butterscotch is really good)

Mix all ingredients in order. Spread into a greased 8x8 pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350.

4 comments:

The Urke Family said...

umm..kelly, do you remember ever knowing what the 'green' m&m's in a bag stood for??? i think valentines m&m's may be green because of that..

Donna Stark said...

Mmmmmmm, yes, by far the king of cookie bars! Growing up my mother made them and called them "Hello Dollies." :o)

I've been known to find the stash in your freezer when I'm babysitting and treat myself. :o)

Anonymous said...

I think the green color thing is very weird!

Team Harry said...

Mail some this way ; )