Wednesday, February 4, 2009

happy birthday dad!

Back in high school, Jen and I started a tradition of writing poems for sisters' and friends' wedding receptions. I have to admit they were quite a hit. I kept up that tradition and will often write a poem for my family when it is one of their birthdays. Tonight we celebrated my dad's birthday and I couldn't resist...

Happy Birthday Dad!!
Here is to a dad that could never be matched
His parents surely knew his greatness back when he was hatched
As time goes on and as every week passes
He looks for ways to serve God, like passing out glasses
He flies around the world like it is no big deal
Knowing there are thousands of people whose hurts are very real
While he can’t reach them all, nor get to every one
He won’t stop until as many hearts for Christ he has won
Over my 29 years I have had time to log complaints
As many daughters have lists of how their dads weren’t exactly saints
But the number of things on my list amount to a whopping zero
You can’t find much wrong with a dad who is your hero
He may be a bit quirky, like eating butter by itself
But if he were a trophy, he would deserve the top shelf!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the poem!! Great job!!! My favorite lines are the last 3.

And I say, ditto to it all!

IE Mommy Blogger said...

Awww...that was so sweet. Great job Kelly. What a blessing!

Donna Stark said...

...and as the one who has lived with him for 39 years, I say, "DITTO" from me, too!