Saturday, September 10, 2011

book

This morning I brought out a book I had not read in a long time. My mom bought it for me a long time ago and I realized that the things in it are probably a lot more relevant with the kids at the ages they are. I forgot how awesome it is! It's called Creative Correction and is by Lisa Whelchel (that girl from Facts of Life).

First off, she is SOO practical and has whole sections with idea after idea of things to try. Here are a few examples I thought were so creative:

*Offer your child one ingredient to their favorite cookie recipe every time they ___________ (i.e. take their plate to the kitchen after a meal, put p.j.'s on by themselves, etc.). At the end of the week, they'll earn all the ingredients and you celebrate by making and enjoying the cookies.

*Save the plastic Easter Eggs. Fill each egg with candy or a coupon for extra TV time, cookie after dinner, etc. Every time a child makes a choice that "defeats Satan" as Jesus did when He rose from the dead on Easter Sunday, they get to choose an egg.

*When your child wakes from a nightmare, after praying for them and giving hugs, tell them to turn their pillows over and lay their heads down on the "good dream" side.

I also like how many of her ideas are accompanied by what to say to weave scripture into your explanation/discipline. If you click on the link for the book, you'll find you can get used a one for less than $5 on Amazon. Well worth it. :)

p.s. Wanted to include this pic from this morning. We went to the Stagecoach Days parade in a nearby town. The kids sat nicely for over an hour and loved it all. Wow! We sure do love our parades!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouuuu, great ideas! I remember liking that book so much--and liking hearing her interviewed.

Yea for small town parades!

Mom

Jessica said...

Ohhh, I totally have that book! I need to get it out :) Thanks for the reminder!