Sunday, May 10, 2009

some highlights and lowlights

Thanks for all of your comments!  We are happy to be be home and are attempting the two kid transition.  Here are some of my thoughts after a couple days:

Highlights:
*Chris's parents left today but were amazingly helpful in not only caring for Cam while we were gone, but helping out once we got home.  My mom is coming tonight to stay for a while so we feel very lucky to have so much help.
*Cam did much better than expected with Kendall.  He'll peek over her crib and definitely knows she is "sister" as he'll say this when we ask.  He doesn't get upset when we are holding her or I am feeding her, which is HUGE!  He has yet to experience her hard cries, but hopefully the more used to her he gets, the easier that will be for him.
*Breastfeeding as gone amazingly smooth which I'm SO thankful for.  I had a rough first month with Cam, so it is nice to not have that as an added worry and I realized how much I missed the bonding part of it.  :)
*Cam has been great at playing independently, which obviously is helpful since I can't do much.
*Chris has been awesome at the new endless amounts of laundry, unpacking, and playing with Cam.  I haven't felt as much guilt as I thought I would for not being able to play with him, due much in part to how much fun I see him having with Chris.
*Lastly, what could be better than just staring at Kendall??  :)

The lowlights:
*Last night was rough (I obviously didn't expect it to be easy!) with sleep.  It is very frustrating for me to not be able to participate in the walking, bouncing, etc. in trying to get her to sleep.  I feel quite useless.  Luckily she slept pretty well once we took turns sleeping her on both of us, but that meant not as great for us.  Once I'm healed, we'll nip that in the bud, but for now, whatever gets us the most sleep is what we'll do. :)
*I thought maybe I was remembering the recovery pain as worse than it was.  Umm...not so much.  It bites.  Last night was miserably painful.  I've been better today about taking my pain meds right on time and that has helped.  But again I HATE not being able to do much of anything...something I'm very not used to.
*Cam has been pretty sick now for several days, coughing harder than we have ever seen.  We are washing our hands a ton for fear of Kendall catching it.

Well, that is about it.  I know this post probably isn't too interesting if don't have kids, so thanks for sticking it out.  I'll have more pictures soon I'm sure.  :)

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I hope the transition continues to go well and that you heal very quickly! That is wonderful that Cam has done so well (that is what I'm most nervous about with Ethan). Hope you can all get some good rest!

Los Claytons said...

Congratulations! I look forward to reading more of your updates on life with 2 kiddos...I am interested on hearing how this goes now that our family could be expanding in the next couple years.

By the way, I love the name! Kendall is cute and goes perfectly with all of yours. good job!

Jen said...

YAY! I'm so glad the transition has been better than you thought! I hope it stays that way! I'm sorry you're in so much pain though. It can't be fun not being able to do much but be sure you don't overdue it...that would be VERY bad! I can't wait to see more pictures as I'm sure she has already changed since in the hospital! Oh, Jani wants to bring you a meal when they get back from Iowa and I'm planning on getting something to you in the near future!

Jannae said...

Ok so I am so glad you posted this! I told Michael I keep thinking about you guys! C-sections stink so I just keep imagining the pain you are in and wondering how it is all going! Breastfeeding going smooth is huge! so huge! So glad for you! Praise God! Hey if you get a chance (which I dont know if you will-since now you have 2 kids anyway) will you email me the pain meds you are on- I am just curious because I felt like I was given some CRAZY powerful stuff and I just am curious to what they prescribed to you now and in the hospital!
love you guys! God is Good!

susan said...

It sounds like things are going even better than you had hoped!!!

I know you hate doing "nothing" BUT in the great scheme of things, a few days is nothin'! Just relax and let everyone else do the work for now. You'll get there soon enough. =)

Team Harry said...

I pray Cam's cough goes away soon!! Things get easier before you know it!!
I didn't know you had a C Section... Did you w/ Cam?
I'm sorry!! I know the recovery is always a lot harder.
So excited for you!! I can't wait to see how much you post about being the Mom of 2!!

Love you!!

Anonymous said...

YAY that the transition is going well! I am glad to hear about Cam!! That's great news (not the cough part, but his being ok with Kendall)! Keep staying ahead of your c-section meds. There's no reason to put yourself in that pain. Stall. Give yourself another week and then see what you can do. I know its a powerless feeling to want to be able to move and help more, but the best thing you could do for everyone is to heal well and not reopen or reinjur or infect your incision--that would be rotton!! YAY for good freastfeeding!! What a blessing!! Are people bringing you meals or anything?

Bethany said...

Congratulations on Kendall's arrival, Kelly! Yay for having a baby girl! It sounds like your highlights by far outweight the lowlights and I am so glad! There will be lots more highs and lows as you adjust to life with two. Just remember, you are not alone! (And you are super tough for going through it all while recovering from a c-section!)