Thursday, May 28, 2009

tips

My mom always passes along her magazines and I thought these tips were so interesting/helpful from her current Woman's Day:

*Combining bleach with detergent does not work because the detergent counteracts the bleach. Instead, add bleach during the last 5 minutes of the wash, so it can work alone.

*To remove a stain, you should treat it from the back of the fabric, to push the stain away.

*Baking your own bread can be done for about 40 cents per loaf, compared to $3-4 at the store! (the problem here is obviously finding the time...but maybe by using a bread machine and keeping dough in the freezer that you make ahead of time would work...but I don't know if you can freeze dough with yeast???)

2 comments:

susan said...

There is NOTHING better than fresh homemade bread - but what I don't like is that it doesn't stay fresh for more than a day or so, you know? Like for sandwiches... Not like store-bought. But maybe freezing bread would help. It's just hard to get really good soft bread for sandwiches, I think, when you make it...

Jessica said...

I did not know the bleach thing... and I just bleached a load of whites today! I'll have to keep that in mind for next time!

I also have to say that making bread is yummy, but I don't prefer it for sandwiches.