Tuesday, September 15, 2009

a week of meals

I don't know about you, but I'm ALWAYS interested in what other people make for their meals. I like to get ideas, plus I just think it is interesting. Here is a list of our last week's meals with my thoughts afterward.

Tuesday: Meatball subs (AWESOME sundried tomato chicken meat balls from Costco).

Wednesday: Made a spontaneous purchase that day at Costco and bought Bacon Wrapped Turkey Tenderloins (they look like little Fillet Mignons). They are only 230 calories and 5 grams of fat. I loved them. Chris thought they were so-so. I made Orzo for the side.

Thursday:
I ate the yummiest corn dog ever (with some mixed veggies thrown on the side to counteract the complete unhealthiness!). Chris's mom brings them down every once in a while. Her friend makes them from scratch. Chris had leftover pizza after getting home later from his softball game.

Friday:
Shredded beef tacos (beef we bought at Costco and cooked in the crock pot all day. Sprinkled Lipton's Onion Soup mix on top before cooking).

Saturday:
Date night...Macaroni Grill. I strayed from my usual (spaghetti and meatballs) and shouldn't have. I swear my meal could have fit into 3/4 of a cup. They spread it all out on some fancy rectangular plate, but they weren't fooling me!!!

Sunday: Leftover Tacos

Monday: Spaghetti with homemade sauce (I'll have to blog this recipe as it is the cheapest, easiest, and yummiest sauce ever!), sauteed zucchini

Tonight: Mini Chicken Calzones. I'll take some of our pre packaged chicken breasts (that we make when we bbq up a whole Costco bag) and make calzones with Pillsbury pizza dough. I'll put some cheese and bbq sauce inside also. I'll probably serve them with veggies for me and fruit for Chris.

You can see that veggies are severely lacking in our dinners. Chris doesn't like very many. He loves broccoli salad, but it is rather time consuming, so I don't make it often. I need to, though, because that is such a healthy veggie and one he not only eats, but enjoys. I don't have the "complete" meal on our plates every night...meaning a main dish and a couple sides. Honestly, sometimes I don't have a side at all...like with the tacos. I feel like I cook pretty low fat in general, but I'm not the best at using whole grain things (I don't think Pillsbury pizza dough has many nutrients!).

Cam typically has his own meal before we do since we eat once the kids are down. I know the whole "family dinner" thing is important. I think one day we'll do that. However since Chris works from home, we are with Cam at all his meals, even if we aren't actually eating. We get an abundance of family time, just not all at the table. This will change once the kids are older as I do feel it is super important to have that "dinner" and debrief about your day. But for now, Chris and I love relaxing together and eating our meal at night. We look forward to it. :)

6 comments:

The Urke Family said...

now i am Starving after reading all about food! :) Kelly I Completely forgot about disneyland yesterday!! did you guys go? I think I'm going to go today. Let me know next time you are going!

susan said...

Fun post! I wouldn't worry even a teensy bit about not eating dinner together yet. You'll get there - what you're doing is working great at this point and you're right - you get tons of family time already. I say enjoy your dinners for a little while longer! =)

On our menu this coming week:
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Shepherd's Pie
- Chicken with Roasted Pears & Wild Rice
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Spaghetti

I can't remember the other two...

We generally have broccoli or green beans or salad with dinner.

Looking forward to your spaghetti recipe!

Ashley said...

Fresh & Easy has pizza dough that is wonderful. They have regular and wheat. I use it to make home made pizzas and stromboli.

Jessica said...

Fun, I love hearing what people make for meals! I always need new inspiration.

Donna Stark said...

I fixed something for dinner this week I haven't for months (or years?)--scrambled eggs with cheese & Costco bacon crumbles served with and browned chopped potatoes from a left-over cold baked potato. John loved it!

Also, for quick-and-dirty, we love a browned patty formed from Costco ground turkey, sprinkled with Lawrys--and then a vegetable.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I am always wondering what people are cooking as I often find myself stuck in this rotation of meals. This week is as follows:

-BBQ Chicken, Red Potatoes, Asparagus and Fruit
-BBQ Chicken Salad, Bread, and Fruit (using leftover chicken)
-Mexican Pizza (which is really just a fancy name for nachos: pinto beans, chicken, onion, tomato, corn, cheese)
-Burrito Bowls

I always try to stretch one involved night of cooking into a second easy one!