Wednesday, February 17, 2010

valentines



Last night Chris and I went to Cheesecake Factory to celebrate Valentines Day. On the menu:

Kelly: Classic Burger with Corn Succotash--LOVE the corn succotash :)
Chris: Spicy Cashew Chicken
Dessert: SO DISAPPOINTED since they no longer carry my favorite, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake. Had to settle for Oreo Mudslide.

Best part? The whole meal was free, thanks to a gift card!

After dinner we headed over to the mall. Despite our instructions to one another to NOT get gifts, Chris got me a gift card to Buckle. I've mentioned the jeans there before and the fact that I cannot justify spending that much on a pair. Knowing this, he got me a gift card because I would have no choice (as opposed to cash, which I could spend on other things).

I found a pair but I just couldn't pull the trigger. They didn't fit perfectly, which I feel is a requirement if I'm going to spend so much money on them. We'll try again another time. :)

p.s. Despite having the gift card, I feel like I still have to rationalize spending so much money on jeans. So...
1. I have worn three of my favorite jeans for over 5 years. So jeans last me a LONG time.
2. In general, I shop at places like Target for clothing and I never buy expensive brand name anything.
3. I get my hair done about once a year, so I'm really saving A LOT of money there.

Ok, I feel better. :)

3 comments:

Jana said...

You know me and how thrifty I am....well, jeans is one area I have splurged on and am so glad I did. I bought one pair of designer jeans at Macys (with a collection of gift cards, of course) almost three years ago and they are the best jeans ever. I wear them all the time and they still look really new. So I think there must be some truth to expensive jeans being better made and worth the money. I also justify it with my length issue. Only jeans that come in long lengths are long enough for me, but designer jeans are made too long assuming the buyer will have them hemmed - which I don't need to do. Then I just buy the rest of my clothes off the clearance rack at Target.
My jeans were $150 - gulp. Does all this make you feel better? Also, there were some really cute designer jeans at Costco the other day. I drooled a little, then walked away since I have no gift cards... =)
Get your jeans and don't feel guilty about it!

Donna Stark said...

Yeah, I'm thinkin' Jana maketh sense. If you divide the price by the number of years you wear them AND if you wear them all the time, they don't cost so much.

susan said...

You should have at least 2 more excuses on your Justification List.

ha =)

How can you COMPLAIN about an Oreo Mudslide Cheesecake??!!! If you tasted the cheesecake over here, you would be thankful. =)

I'm intrigued by the buckle jeans. I keep picturing jeans with a big rhinestone belt buckle - can't get that picture out of my mind for some reason! =)