Wednesday, July 27, 2011

granola bars


I've mentioned before that finding snacks for car rides, outings, etc. has been hard because I don't want to always resort to processed crackers. While I still have a hefty stash of pretzels in my bag, I found a GREAT recipe for homemade granola bars. They won't get all melty in the hot car and they aren't crumbly. I made them by the recipe this first time, to up the chances that the kids would like them. Next time I'll not only lessen the amount of sugar (they are pretty sweet), but I'll try and start sneaking in the veggies. :)

Ingredients

* 2 cups rolled oats
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup wheat germ
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 whole wheat flour
* 3/4 cup raisins (optional)
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup honey
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/2 cup olive oil (I use half applesauce)
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm excited to try these!! I've never made them and have been wanting too.

I wonder about adding in a bunch of nuts too (like regular granola).... Then they'd give you your protein - to keep ya going! (Hmmm... actually maybe we AREN'T wanting to give our kids more energy!) =)

Thanks!!