Friday, June 8, 2012

backfire

Yesterday was one of those days where you try and do something nice for your kids and it totally backfires, irritating you that you even tried in the first place.  :)

The kids and I had walked up to Staters and were on our way home.  Chris realized it was hot, I was carrying grocery bags, and we probably could use a lift home, so he drove up and asked if we wanted a ride.

We quickly realized that Cam's bike wouldn't fit into the car.  As we were discussing what to do, Kendall started throwing a little fit because her pie (pacifier) wasn't in the car.   Things were escalating with her (and Cam because of her) so I just told Chris to take Cam home and I would keep going with Kendall.

This ticked Kendall off so as I pushed Cam's bike and pulled her on her bike, she screamed and cried and would't let up.  After a few minutes Chris came back with our bigger car.  I plopped Kendall in the back, refused to give her her pie since she was being such a stinker, and we drove home.

Chris and I were both irritated that what was supposed to be a nice gesture on his part of rescuing the kids from a long ride home turned into a screaming Kendall in the car and a sweet Cameron who had locked himself in his room so as not to hear her when we got home.  But isn't that the story of parenthood?  Many things we do for little ones not only go without a "thank you", but end up backfiring and worse than before you tried to do something nice!!!  :)

My little munchkin pre-meltown...floating leaves down the gutter. :)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh yes, I've had incidents like that many times... It's a bit maddening but a part of having kids I suppose. I don't look forward to teenage years... Trying super hard to plan family time and having your kids whine because they'd rather be with their friends. I love how right now anything we do is exciting to them :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a bummer!!! You and Chris both get points for all your effort though (even if the points aren't awarded by Kendall). :)
Mom

Anonymous said...

Bummer!!! But you and Chris still get points for your efforts (even if the points aren't awarded by Kendall). :)
Mom