Sunday, June 3, 2012

homemade bread



Earlier this afternoon Cam was watching a movie and I wanted to bake.   I decided to experiment with bread for sandwiches.  I found this recipe which has SUCH a great, nutty flavor.  It’s not your typical store bought light and fluffy texture, so I’ll need to use thinner slices for the kids' sandwiches as one piece is pretty dense/filling.  I love how healthy it is and feel like it’s worth forgoing the nice fluffy texture of store bought for that reason. :)

p.s. It may look time consuming because of the number of ingredients, but I put both loaves together in about 10 minutes.


Healthy Sandwich Bread (makes two loaves)
1 tbls. active dry yeast
1/2 tsp. white sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1 3/4 cups warm water
1/8 cup honey
1/8 cup molasses
1/4 cup olive oil
1 egg
1 tbls. lemon juice
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flaxseed
1/8 cup sunflower seeds
1 tsp. salt
2 cups oats (measure, then grind in the food processor)

In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1/4 cup warm water.  In a large bowl, mix remaining 1 3/4 cup warm water, honey, molasses, oil, egg, and lemon juice.  Mix well.  Add yeast mixture and stir.  Gradually add whole wheat flour and stir.  Add remainder of ingredients and mix with your hands until well combined (like two minutes).  Divide in half and put into two greased loaf pans.  Cover with a towel and let rise until about double in size.  Bake at 350 for approx 25 minutes.

p.s. To speed along the rising, I put my oven at 250 for 5 minutes, then shut it off.  I then put the pans inside and the not to warm oven really speeds them along.

No comments: