Sunday, January 3, 2010

moms


Lately I've been sneaking in a few episodes of Gilmore Girls. The writing is pretty creative, but I LOVE the close relationship between the two main characters (mom and daughter). I think every mom, when she has a daughter, longs to one day be good friends.

While my mom is one of my best friends right now, it wasn't always the case. We didn't fight a ton in high school, we just weren't super close. I think I was so self absorbed and into my own little teen life, I didn't make room for a close relationship with her. I'm bummed now because I know I missed out. :) Seems like there is such a fine line to walk for a mom. You want to be your daughter's friend, but you also need to be the "mom" and not lose her respect. Sometimes I think it mostly has to do with the daughter's personality, rather than a tried and true formula moms can follow to make it happen. Hmm...

1 comment:

Donna Stark said...

Yes, it is kind of a complicated line to walk sometimes. The good news is that I'd MUCH rather be great friends AFTER high school & on into the rest of life...than vice-versa (friends during high school & not so much afterwards).

I KNOW how blessed I am that we are such good friends (in addition to the regular mother-daughter love), and I never take that for granted! Thank you, Lord! Wahooooo!