Wednesday, March 31, 2010

measurements

Whenever I watch shows about cooking, they always stress the importance of being strict with your measurements when it comes to baking. I've never been that strict. When it comes to teaspoons or tablespoons of things (like baking soda), I always eyeball it and just dash it in without using a spoon. I've never had trouble with things not turning out.

I also never really follow the directions as far as the order of adding things (like mixing the wet first, then adding the dry). Again, never had a problem. Last night, my casual attitude came back to bite me with an Angel Food mix I bought to make for my dad's b-day lunch. I ignored the specific instructions as to how fast and long to mix it. I ended up with a super dense cake that I had to throw out. I guess I learned my lesson.

I ended up getting a store bought cake and made what turned out to be a pretty good dessert. I layered the cake, coconut pudding, and cool whip in a trifle dish. It was quite tasty. My little helper enjoyed sampling the cake as he tore it into pieces.






We had a great time at my parents'. The kids got their Easter Baskets from my parents and Cam has been a big fan of his new glasses.

3 comments:

Donna Stark said...

Ou, it WAS a tasty dessert. And we had Swiss cheese fondue--yummo!

Jessica said...

That cake looks yummy! yum yum.

How did the fondue turn out?

I love your hair in that picture. When I saw it I decided to get out my crimper thingy but my hair does not turn out near as cute as yours.

Bonnie said...

Your hair looks so cute in that picture!

Don't feel bad about the cake...I think that we all know that angel food cake can be tricky to make. Maybe even the humid weather had a part in it - who knows? I'm glad that your dessert turned out well, though. :)