Monday, April 26, 2010

sticker chart

Since day one of discovering that we would have a very different journey with Cam than with most kids, I've had an amazing support system. In addition to Chris--my mom, sister, and my friend Karen have been more supportive than I could possibly describe. The hours they have spent (via email or over the phone) analyzing, researching, and encouraging, are astounding. I don't know what I would have done without them.

Anyway, one of their brilliant ideas is one I'm currently implementing. I have realized that I HAVE to tackle the issue of Cam crying when Kendall cries. I noticed I had started a pattern of giving into EVERYTHING Kendall wanted, just so she wouldn't get upset. Obviously this is not a wise discipline strategy. I needed to help Cam get passed this.

So this morning Chris and I shared with Cam his new song, "It's OK! It's OK! It's OK when sissy cries!!!" I explained to him that every time Kendall cried, and he not only sang the song, but didn't cry himself, he would get a Skittle. Boy did he catch on quick!! Whenever she would start, he would look at me, smile, then sing his song...immediately followed by a request for a Skittle. This afternoon was a little harder for him as a couple times she cried much louder and longer. He teared up, but stuck it out and even sang his song (in his little shaky voice).

I'm very encouraged and made a chart this evening. The Skittles were flowing a little too heavily for my liking, so this way he'll have to earn several stickers before he gets a candy. :) I have his teacher on board as well and will make her a chart she can have at school. I'll let you know how we progress, but so far I'm feeling hopeful!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo I am so glad to hear it went well!! That is FANTASTIC!! :) Way to go Cameron!!

susan said...

I'm THRILLED to PIECES to read this post!!! Way to go Cam Man! And fantstic work with the chart. We're praying for continued success, Kelly!!!!!

Charlee said...

Thats a great idea we have found charts to be great sine Breven is a visual learner. I make them on a spreadsheet program and print them out sonce my art work isint as good as yours! Hope it helps and I like the song!

Jana said...

Cameron is sooooo blessed to have you as a mom! And his current and future teachers are gonna love you! There's nothing more helpful to a teacher than an involved (in a positive way, like you) parent!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is the BEST news ever!! Such a good start! Thank you, Lord! And I love the little song! No Skittles were ever more useful! Hang in there, Kelly and Chris! You go, Cam Man!
Love,
Mom

Kelly said...

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!! :) Yes, we will keep plugging away. Too bad my spelling on the chart isn't as good as my art work (did you notice?). :)

Jen Epperson said...

Such a great idea! Caden is starting to struggle in the car a bit because Tessa can be a screamer in her seat! Might need to try this! :)
(Ps I love the Mater drawing on the chart! So cute!) :)

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I'm so proud of you. You use such creativity in your parenting. You are a wonderful mommy!

Team Harry said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad to hear you have a plan and he is on board with it!! I pray it works!!