Monday, August 9, 2010

deli


One of my top 5 favorite foods is a REALLY good sandwich. This involves amazing bread, lots of mayo, sharp cheese, and good meat (but not too much...that grosses me out). Chris has also really been into sandwiches lately for his lunches. The problem? Deli meat is so darn expensive! Where do you find good deals on deli meat? I don't want to buy the nasty cheapo stuff that's probably mostly nitrates, yet I don't want to spend $6.99 a pound at the deli counter.

p.s. I thought this was such a cute picture this morning. In my attempts to find things to occupy our day, I came up with the toothpick game (wow...oh so creative). I gave Cam some toothpicks so he could float them down the "river" (aka, gutter). Kendall wanted in on the action. I can already see my sister's lips smirk in disapproval. But Susan, I think the birds won't be tempted to pick up the toothpicks...they are smart enough to sense they are wood, not food. :)

5 comments:

susan said...

As long as you have a little receptacle at the end to catch them all so that it doesn't become just more trash going down, I don't see any problems!! =) A little net or propped-up sieve would work great I would think. =)

Aren't you SO THANKFUL for big sisters????? What would become of this world without them??!!! I hate to think!

Charlee said...

Deli meat is never reasonable priced I have found so I just suck it up and pay you can penny pinch other areas to make it up I usualy do. Check out www.sharethe31secret.com she shops sales and gives you the cupons to get the best deals. I use a few of the things on there and it helps out I just don't cruise the town hitting every store I don't have that time or patience!

Desiree said...

Wow...and to me $6.99/pound is a good deal, as most of the time it is 8.99-9.99/pound! I have bought deli meat at Walmart for okay prices (although selection is poor), or I will just buy it when it's on "sale" at the grocery...still it's not usually less than $6.99/pound! Maybe $5.99 if I'm lucky!

Donna Stark said...

Too cute to see them "doing something" together. How about leaves for the floaters?

iammygirlsmom said...

Deli meat also has nitrites/nitrates in it unless it's specificed otherwise. They just slice it for you off of a larger chunk of processed meat and make it look pretty behind the glass.

Hormel makes a nitrate/nitrite free line of meat, (uncured) sold in a package. Out here in MI, it's $2.50 for a 7 ounce package. It still works out to about what you're paying at the deli, but at least it's preservative free!!

~Phoebe (visiting from Susan's blog!)