Thursday, August 26, 2010

marsala


I've been wanting to make this recipe for a while, due to my sister's rave reviews. Here are a few emails between us:

Me: I have all the ingredients for that Carmela's rigatoni thing, except Marsala wine. I can't find it at two grocery stores. Can I use just plain red or white cooking wine?

Susan: NO!!!! It MUST be Marsala. Really, it must!!! The stores really should have it – but you probably need to ask. We did here. It was one bottle out of a million.

Me: Darn you and your Marsala. I've now looked at three grocery stores and even talked to the wine expert at one. He had never heard of it. Grrr.....

Has anyone who doesn't live in Germany know where to find Marsala wine???? :)

7 comments:

Donna Stark said...

Hey, Susan, how do you know that it has to be Marsala?

susan said...

I think it has a distinctive taste. Jody T. (from Upland) was the one who gave me this recipe so I know it exists in California.....

Unknown said...

Have you tried calling BevMo? I know absolutely nothing about wine or where to buy it, but I hear their commercials all the time. I think that they have a large selection.

Jannae said...

I am sure BevMo in Redlands would have it. They have walls and walls of wine!

Jen Epperson said...

Did you try Trader Joes? They have LOTS of wine! Or I would try BevMo as well. If you google Lombardo Marsala it might tell you (or on their website)? :)

Jodi said...

Hi there, Kelly! I get it at Stater Bros... it's definitely a sweet cooking wine, not really a drinking wine. You might be able to get away with sherry... it seems like I tried that once and it worked okay. Hope this info helps!

Jodi said...

Hi Kelly,
I needed marsala wine this morning, and found it easily at our Stater Bros. It is made by Colombo, and they carry both sweet and dry marsala. I use the sweet. It's right next to the sherrys. Hope that info helps! Maybe you've already found it...

Jodi :)