Sunday, December 28, 2008

yes, I realize it is just the reality

Today Cam and I stayed from home church due to another runny nose. About a month ago I posted that he was sick for a good 2 weeks. I didn't take him to church, his gym class, his speech class, etc. due to this fact. It wasn't that he felt badly, I just didn't feel right about putting him in a situation with other healthy kids.

Last week he was finally free and clear and so we took him to church. A couple days later, he was sick again. Yes, I realize this is nothing new and this is the reality of nursery. But I have to admit that it is frustrating that other parents don't seem to mind bringing their sick kids to church, therefore exposing every other kid to their cold. I know it is hassle to have to stay home and many times you just want to get out and need a break from a sick little one. But I also know it is the right thing to do in keeping them back. Too bad not everyone agrees...

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm with you on that one! We finally got to go to church as a family of three today for the first time in a month and a half! It seems like as soon as we're well, we go to a nursery and Ethan is sick again. I try to tell myself "well, sometimes you don't realize your child is contagious".

I had a mom tell me one time that since she has five kids if she stayed home every time one of them had a runny nose she'd never go to church. I do wish that all parents would be as mindful as you seem to be :)

Kelly said...

Yes, I do realize there are exceptions...like I understand if both parents volunteer during church and it just isn't possible to stay home. But I think situations like this are the exception and not the norm.

Anonymous said...

Amen sister!

Carrie P said...

i agree! my kids have had colds for like 2 months straight b/c of this! we, too, skipped church yesterday, yet again...

Unknown said...

dont EVEN get me started!! ;)

i think it IS hard with babies (not 2 year olds like Cam) because babies can have runny noses for teething. So you dont always know when they are sick or just teething. But we find that our children got sick often on account of the church nursery. i think it might warrant asking the nursery staff how often they disinfect/clean their toys too.

the only hope i can offer you is that they will get sick less and less as your kids get older. their immune system gets stronger and they dont catch runny noses as much or often. which is GREAT.

Mommy of 4 said...

Hey Kelly-
That was the week I was in there and no one was sick and he didn't come in contact with any other kids.... BUT all the kids were putting all the toys in their mouths.... including Ainsley... there really is no way to stop this.... they can also get a cold from the park, grocery store, resturant.... really any where but believe me I know it is so hard with a fussy child.... all 4 of my kids have running noses right now too so we left them with my mom so we could go to church. I think it is just part of the Winter season. I hope Cameron feels better soon!

Team Harry said...

I totally agree!! I have friends that take their sick kids everywhere and don't care but...

Sometimes your kids are already contagious but don't have any symptoms yet..

My pediatrician said that it's the norm for toddlers to get like 10 colds a year. Hang in there...

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for getting back to me about the Land of Nod dish. You called it - I used the pre-baked Pillsbury rolls. I will totally make them again now that I know the right ones to use.

Sorry your little man isn't feeling well. :-(