Monday, January 12, 2009

crafts and kelly

Whenever I've been asked what hobbies I'm into, I'm always at a loss. The only things I really love to do are cooking and baking. I know many people are into crafts, but I just can't jump on board. In general, I'm not a huge fan simply because I lack motivation to work on things that I can't use. Since I'm not into displaying crafty things in my home, I rarely participate in making them. I usually skip the craft time at my Mom's group because I see them more as things that will clutter up my house, which I'm a huge proponent of VERY LITTLE clutter in my house (in fact, I think one time my sister accused me of being to sparse of a decorator!).

Scrap booking seems to be huge right now. Here are my thoughts on that:
A) It is an expensive hobby (but again if I was INTO it, it wouldn't be a waste of money because it would be something I would just budget for...so I don't think it is a waste)
B) If I can be truly honest, unless someone specifically tells me, "Take a look at the pages I made", I always tend to look just at the pictures themselves. I would venture to guess this is the case with most people, unless they themselves are into scrap booking.
C) Knowing my track record with crafts, I can see myself buying all the cute stuff, then getting tired of it and quitting half way through, leaving 1/2 a book that would never be completed.

There is one craft that I really enjoy doing, which is cross stitch. I rarely do them because again, I would never hang them in my home because they just aren't my style. And I wouldn't give them as gifts, so I just never get them. However this year I decided to start the tradition my mom has with my sister and I, which is to give us a new ornament each year. I thought it would be a perfect excuse to do a cross stitch because it would make a great ornament and I found a super cute one of Pirates of the Caribbean (which is one of Cam's favorites at Disneyland). However we are now two weeks into January, and here is where I'm at...



yep...I lost motivation and yet another craft sits undone...oh well. Maybe someday I'll find some sort of hobby. :)

2 comments:

Donna Stark said...

Awwww, that would've been a cute ornament for Cam. You must at least finish that one.

I know--I have a hard time answering the hobby question, too.

Team Harry said...

I am one of the people that started scrapbooking, bought all the stuff and never do it anymore. I'd like to though!! Are sports a hobby? My new hobby is Raquetball... I can't get enough of it right now ; )