Friday, January 16, 2009

H-E-double hockey sticks

Yesterday was kind of a day from you know where. We dropped Cam off at my parents' the night before so Chris and I could go to a couples game night with our church. I decided to spend the night since this was the first time Cam had spent the night at my parents and I wasn't sure how he would do. After waking up briefly at 4:15, he was up for good by 5:00. He was super duper cranky all morning (except for the 45 minutes I was gone and he was with my mom...I 'm weary of analyzing why this is ALWAYS the case).

After OT, because he was so tired, I could not keep him awake for the drive home. I thought since he had only slept for 15 minutes in the car, I would attempt a nap a littler later. That flopped as a few minutes after putting him down he started screaming bloody murder. I finally went in only to find the poor little thing had his ankle stuck. I felt so bad but knew he wouldn't be taking a nap.

Walmart was the kicker. I was so over his crankiness that I violated my "I can't always give him a snack at the store" rule big time. I wish I could have taken a picture of him with one hand holding a sucker and the other hand going in and out of a pretzel bag I had opened for him.

After going over his TV limit for the day due to not knowing what else to do, I decided it was car play time. This is his new favorite pastime where we sit in the car and I read to him or sing while he climbs back and forth and plays with all the buttons. While we were in there, all of my frustrations melted away in an instant...as soon as I heard him start to sing "Jesus Loves Me" all on his own. Granted, I only knew it was this song by the tune and the few scattered words I could actually understand, but it made me forget the entire day. It is amazing how one moment like that can erase hours of yuckiness!

Here is a pic of him quite excited about "car time":

4 comments:

Jannae said...

Hey Kelly! I love reading your blog!! Baylee had an 'off' day today! hmmm weird! We missed you at the PJ party tonight! Hope you have a great weekend!

Donna Stark said...

Awwww, how sweet to hear him singing "Jesus Loves Me." SO sorry it was a hard day. What a sweet ending to it, though.

He looks like a mini race car driver. :o)

Anonymous said...

You are a terrible mother for exceeding the 3 - minute - per -day TV max that you've set for him.

I'm sorry it was a stinker of a day!! =(

The Urke Family said...

he looks so darn cute in that picture you would never know it was such a tough day from his innocent little smile
it sounds like one of those no good very bad days where you just want to move to australia :) I'm so sorry.