Wednesday, April 25, 2012

quick to forgive

Tonight when I was taking Kendall to bed she wanted a certain baby to accompany her.  As we were heading upstairs she changed her mind and wanted the baby to remain downstairs.  I didn't feel like going back down so I told her to just leave it on the floor.  For some reason she got upset and demanded it go back downstairs, to which I turned around and chucked it down.  Really, Kelly?  Did you actually think that would go over well??  :)

That started a spiral downward as she then screamed wanting the baby back (probably felt badly that I had been so violent with it!).  I got very frustrated and refused, then gave in, then got more frustrated because she still didn't calm down.  I was NOT the model of patience.

After plopping her in her crib without bedtime snuggles, she had HAD it.  I left in a huff and Chris went in to calm her down.  However it wasn't long before the guilt settled in and I felt really bad for how I had talked to her.  I went back in and told her I was sorry...to which she immediately forgave me.  How nice.  I dread the day when she is a teenager and I have to apologize, only to be met with rolling eyes.  I'm so thankful little ones will forget wrongs in less than a second. :)

p.s. She was still talking after half an hour in bed, so I went back up for some more "ease my guilt snuggles".  :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, so sweet. And what a good model for her see--"when I blow it, I ask for forgiveness."

Anonymous said...

Ug. I've been there! Done and said things I shouldn't have. Love that you shared this because I could DEFINITELY relate.

Laura at BlueEyes said...

Love your honesty, Kelly. We all fall short in this department at some point or another and I can totally relate to the frusteration, then the guilt, and then the shame. You are a great mommy!!